It's been awhile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

born3z

Reaction score
Hey, my name is Chris and I live in South Dakota. I'm not completely new to homebrewing or the forums, I just haven't been around in a couple years. I've only got a handful of batches under my belt, though. I'm getting back into brewing after about three years off. Was gonna brew an IPA this morning but woke up to dead yeast.... Bummer. I'll have to wait til I can get to the homebrew shop and find a few hours of spare time, I guess. In the mean time I figured I'd reintroduce myself to the forums and learn some stuff. Cheers! :mug:

Not totally sure so I haven't tossed it yet.. The smack pack was several months expired though, as I bought it awhile ago with intentions of getting back into the brewing game. At this point there is still no activity so we'll see, I guess. Oh well, I'll just make sure to have a back up from now on.

Unless you have a stir plate,the yeast won't stay in suspension. Not to mention,room temps shouldn't be so cold as to make them go dormant. You have to swirl starters ever now & then without a stir plate. So swirl'em up,& see what happens. Does it have a healthy,yeasty smell? I've noticed that even re-hydrating yeast has a yeasty,grape like smell.

Well I've swirled it several times and the ambient temp is 70 degrees... I'm pretty certain it's dead at this point... It's been almost 24 hours. If I have time I'm going to stop at the lhbs store tomorrow and grab some yeast... thanks for the suggestions but I'm pretty sure it's a lost cause by now.

Back