It's almost that time of year again, the Pumpkin beckons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babbage78

Reaction score
Hey guys I was planning on brewing my first ever pumpkin ale this year, but reading around has made me really paranoid about the spice additions. I'm planning on making it a fairly heavy/boozy beer (a true harvest beer) so I feel like i should probably compensate with a little more spice than usual. I also feel compelled to use the french saison yeast from wyeast due to what I've read about it synergyzing with spices. Here's what I threw together:

5 gallon batch, 1.074 OG 27 IBU

11.00 lbs Mild Malt
0.50 lbs CaraAroma
0.35 lbs Honey Malt
0.35 lbs Special B
1.00 lbs Sugar
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings (60 min)
2.00 oz East Kent Goldings (15 min)
3 cinnamon sticks
0.50 oz Nutmeg
0.25 oz Allspice
0.25 oz Clove
Wyeast 3711 French Saison Yeast

Aside from any changes you think might help the recipe, i'm interested in hearing when you think these spices should be added? during the full boil? near the end of the boil? after primary fermentation? I've never done a spiced beer before so sorry for all the questions :p

I haven't researched recipes yet, but I think I will do one this year. I want to actually use pumpkin. I have just finished a Saison using that yeast. It is not ready yet. Kegged, but still flat. Almost a peppery spice taste. Very good, hope it gets even better.

What temp schedule did you use during fermentation if you don't mind me asking?

I just made my annual pumpkin ale and I used 1tsp of pumpkin pie spice at the end of the boil, and 60oz of real pumpkin in the mash. I'll be adding 1.5tsp of pumpkin pie spice a week or so before kegging

image-2453269477.jpg

Thanks! I was reading that alot of the spice character seems to vanish through fermentation and so adding some more during secondary might be a good idea. Maybe I'll add another tsp, I'm pretty scared of over spicing this brew lol

I would think the sugar will dry it out, I like my pumpkins richer.

The 3711 will dry it out regardless of any sugar.

I agree that you want some nice residual sweetness on a pumpkin ale. I'd skip the sugar and use a less attenuative yeast.

Why the saison yeast? If you're scared of the spice additions, adding that yeast will only confuse the flavor profile more. IMO, you should go with a more basic strain. An English strain is what I'm planning for mine. It should finish higher than 001 or US-05 and is a mellow strain.

Also, check out the brewing network. They did an episode on pumpkin beers last September or October. They said to use fresh spices and to be conservative. 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of allspice, nutmeg, and maybe 1/8 tsp of clove, ginger or mace. If it's too light, you can certainly taste and add more spices after fermantation has slowed via a tincture.

Good luck!

Oh and try to mash high, like 156F.

I spice after primary fermentation; pumpkin pie spice soaked in a little bourbon, and it is really easy to over spice things. I use canned pumpkin in my mash and a humongous starter of California ale.

Mash temp is 156-158 so I get loads of body and about 9-10ABV.

I am salivating now just thinking about it.

Back