It's A Toilet. Not A Trashcan.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My family has a problem with flushable wipes. I tried telling them that it's not good for the sewer system, but they don't believe me because it says it's flushable right on the box.

I don't begrudge them their desire to be clean, but those things are definitely not going to break down in the sewer system, and they WILL cause blockages. I'm tempted to set up a disposal station right in the bathroom to prevent that kind of problem, but I have a feeling they would just start thinking I'm becoming a crazy old man.

My family has a problem with flushable wipes. I tried telling them that it's not good for the sewer system, but they don't believe me because it says it's flushable right on the box.

I don't begrudge them their desire to be clean, but those things are definitely not going to break down in the sewer system, and they WILL cause blockages. I'm tempted to set up a disposal station right in the bathroom to prevent that kind of problem, but I have a feeling they would just start thinking I'm becoming a crazy old man.

Becoming? :confused:

I 100% agree. I work in the drainage industry, I design sewage networks and those so called flushable wipes create huge problems which were not there before they wrote flushable on the package a few years ago.

People are stupid, socks are flushable too, screw drivers, sand, stones, everything small enough is flushable, everything goes down the drain. Writing it on a package does not mean anything at all.

Those things turn into strings and clock pumping stations and pipes. I wonder if they will be saying in tears "but they were flushable!" when the first sewage overflow hits their house :D

When they hit the plant, we can still see the quilted pattern. We've been able to determine the brand after pulling them out of clogs.

Hell, I even have a thing of wetwipes at the office. My buthol is all tip-top shape. You muni guys just need to get some proper pumps in your lift stations.

Hell, I even have a thing of wetwipes at the office. My buthol is all tip-top shape. You muni guys just need to get some proper pumps in your lift stations.

If you want a pump that can handle that, you also want a pump that needs roughly twice the amount of energy to move the same amount of waste water as a normal one and costs 2 to 3 times compared to the usual ones.

And the screening structures to go with it. And anything that gets past the screens, or even worse, gets pumped through without screening, still needs to be removed before final discharge. We've seen "rag ropes" snap augers. One wipe is weak. A bundle of wipes is quite formidable.

Back