ITC1000F Failed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcn

Reaction score
Hi folks. I've had an Inkbird ITC1000F on a wine fridge for controlling fermentation temps for a few years. Brewing Yooper's Oatmeal Stout today and while I'm waiting for the mash to complete I started the rest of my prep, incl firing up the wine fridge. My temp controller had nothing in the display and would not power on so I took it apart and found the brown box on the PCB was generating a lot of heat. I'm guessing that part failed somehow, it's partially shown at the bottom of this pic pilfered from another HBT post:
wp_0000101-55781.jpg

My question is; Since it lasted 3-4 years I presume it was wired to the outlet ok, I guess it just failed instead of being configured wrong? Thankfully they're only ~$25..

That "brown box" is essentially the power supply for the whole unit and includes an xformer/rectifier/regulator(s).
While it's entirely possible it has failed there's also the possibility some loading component has failed and is sinking the power supply output(s).

Either way, it's a brick now, and I would surmise it was a natural death, as opposed to murder :)

Cheers!

Thanks! Hehehe ok was hoping that but wanted to be certain before I build the replacement one the same way.. once it arrives.. I have WLP007 for this recipe, basement SHOULD keep it in the happy yeast range without help but Ill feel better once I'm back to high tech.

Back