It WAS a beatiful thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Castawayales

Reaction score
I have 12 varieties planted to see what likes the MN weather.

My Centennial (1st year) put up 1 shoot, it withered and I have seen no more shoots emerging. Thinking it's a goner.

My Liberty tried to return from it's winter slumber, but with a little help from a critter (most likely a squirrel) scrounging around and digging up the new growth it failed. I found the remains and replanted elsewhere (more secure), but no such luck.

Everything else was doing nicely, most were trained, UNTIL the gods emptied their ice chests on our town. Dime to golf ball hail for 25 minutes. After the storm everyone ran to look at their cars and houses, but I headed to the Hop plot.

I lost leaves bines and tips. I spent a couple of hours cutting away the destroyed material and they are starting to put out some new growth, but what a bummer. Since most of these are 1st year plants they sure didn't need the stress.

At least I'm not tearing up my driveway like my neighbor, which was poured two hours before the hail hit. It was totally pitted out and worthless.

Barry

Your hops will be back, but man, that sucks about the neighbors driveway! Did the contractors bother to check the weather map before coming out??

Your hops will be back, but man, that sucks about the neighbors driveway! Did the contractors bother to check the weather map before coming out??

This storm came out of nowhere. There was a forecast of rain late night. This hit at 4:30. Went from sunny to black in about 20 minutes. Gotta love the midwest. Never a dull moment in the spring.

Bummer deal all around. They are out there hauling off the debris and repouring the driveway as I type.

Having been through a few major hail storms, I can say they almost always come out of nowhere. When I lived in Las Vegas, I got hammered with almost 2" of hail, from a clear sky!

Bummer about the hops, but they should recover. Where you lost the tips, the plant will probably put out sidearms in a few days.

Having been through a few major hail storms, I can say they almost always come out of nowhere. When I lived in Las Vegas, I got hammered with almost 2" of hail, from a clear sky!

To get pummeled from a clear sky, by hail, in Las Vegas could bring religion to a guy who just lost his annual salary at the tables.

Good to get reassurance that the hops will recover.

Thanks
Barry

Back