It smells great, but....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devantf

Reaction score
... it looks like trouble. opened it up to add priming sugar and had a not so nice surprise. :mad:

so is it infected? smells like it did before this 'layer' appeared.
infection.jpg

so i guess im going to bottle anyway. got everything set, need the vessel. any dangers to drinking it?

Don't bottle it if it's infected. You risk having bottle bombs and injuring yourself.

Can you blow that picture up a bit? It's somewhat tiny and I can't tell if it's trub or an infection. Taste it... is it sour? If it tastes all right, it's probably fine... but post a bigger pic just to be safe.

I can't really tell (the picture is way too small for my old eyes) what that is. It could be just the remnants of krausen. How long has it been in that fermetner?

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you're going to pour your priming sugar in there, and stir it up? I wouldn't do that. I'd rack the beer to a new vessel, into which the dissolved priming sugar was added first, and then the beer racked into it. You don't want to stir up the beer, and if that is an infection starting, you can just lower the racking cane under it and rack the beer out of there.

sorry, i can go bigger, it was huge the first time i posted it. let me know your thoughts.

sorry, i can go bigger, it was huge the first time i posted it. let me know your thoughts.

Well, I'd take the SG, and transfer to a new carboy by racking. If it tastes ok, I'd risk bottling it if you can transfer it without any of that stuff.

How long has it been in that fermenter?

You have to rack it to a different container to mix in the priming sugar, otherwise you'll end up with huge amounts of trub in the bottles.

Back