Issues with Craigslist Cornies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobeerinheaven

Reaction score
I've got the opportunity to buy a batch of cornies off CL for a decent price. Besides replacing poppets, o-rings (and perhaps other things?... I'm never kegged before) are there any dangers of buying cornies off CL? Do I need to pressure check them or anything like that?

I've purchased 5 kegs from CL. No problems. You already know what to do...i.e. replace the o-rings - definitely- and the popets (maybe - maybe not, I only had to replace one set). I'd ask if the seller has a Co2 tank to have him/her pressurize to see if it hold pressure. If you have a tank bring it and some starsan in a spray bottle to check for major leaks. These things are very durable. You'll likely be fine. Good luck.

I've bought 10 off CL, just ask him to bring the kegs pressurized so you can see that they hold pressure. You can test by pulling the pressure relief ring.

I've had good luck buying o-rings off of eBay - someone from Canada.

The best of luck!

I doubt the seller has a C02 tank, I think he found them after renting some storage space and has no use for them. The price is right though.

nobeerinheaven said:
I doubt the seller has a C02 tank, I think he found them after renting some storage space and has no use for them. The price is right though.

$20 or less a keg buy - $40 or more a keg inspect, test and then buy if warranted.

Make sure to ask the seller if its empty. I bought one and when I met the guy at Wal Mart. I found out when I picked it up it was full of his homebrew.

It was his first batch and extract and kept hot for god knows how long. It went down the drain.

We'll see if everything goes through, but it looks now as though I'll be buying a group of 16 at about $10 a pop.

At $10 ea. SNATCH THEM UP ASAP!!!!

Even if you had to replace all the o-rings and some poppets even a lid or two you would still be ahead of the game. Clean and condition some of them and sell for about $50.

Ok so I found some on CL near me...seller has 3 amd is letting em go for 15 because " They all have lids but some are missing the ball lock parts, but these are all replaceable parts. But I'll let them go cheap because of that. " should I buy? Thanks

OK, picked these up yesterday. 16 for $165. Many still have pressure and soda in them. Quite a deal. I'm pretty sure they are mostly or all ball-locks (I might have one pin, I'm not sure).

Are there any guides to the various types of cornies? I'm seeing a lot of variation in pressure lock styles, for instance.

OK, picked these up yesterday. 16 for $165. Many still have pressure and soda in them. Quite a deal. I'm pretty sure they are mostly or all ball-locks (I might have one pin, I'm not sure).

Are there any guides to the various types of cornies? I'm seeing a lot of variation in pressure lock styles, for instance.

That's a screaming deal, congrats!

Pin lock kegs have pins sticking out of the sides of the posts (2 on the gas post, 3 on the liquid post).
Pin-Lock-vs-Ball-Lock-Posts-and-Disconnects.jpg

Here's some good info on the differences between keg manufacturers and models-
http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

Latest posts

Back