Issue with wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartin73

Reaction score
So this is my fault for not thoroughly checking everything before I start but with 30 minutes left in my brew, i see that my wort chiller has a whole in the copper. I have a beer fridge that i can store it in to try and bring the temp down, is that my only option?

You didn't mention your batch size. Ice water bath's work great for smaller batches. But yes, putting it in the fridge to chill it will work too. You'll just want to cover it and let it cool to ambient prior to transferring it I'd think.

You can try patching with lead free solder. Heat the area and with the hole pointing down touch solder to it. Keep doing this until you get a bead to stick. Just needs to be hot enough to melt the solder. Test by running water through it. Clean the outside well.

I am not a plumber. I did recently watch a plumber do this. He may not be a good plumber though.

Also, lots of people do no chiller brews and they are fine. Overnight in the fridge will work.

If it were a couple weeks then absolutely (like 5 degrees). Now we have rainy and temps in the mid 40s-50s.

He’ll want to sand and flux the area. Keep in mind flux is an acid, but necessary to clean and allow the solder to flow.

if you can get the kettle into a ice batch I would go that route to get it down whatever amount possible then you could put it in the fridge in the kettle. If you can get down to 100-120° you can put it in your fermenter as long as its not glass. A better bottle melts at 140° Buckets are more heat tolerant. Glass is a fickle mistress.

There is a whole group of people that do nochill brewing; particularly in areas where water usage is limited.

I would let it cool awhile at ambient before tossing it in the fridge at ambient to reduce condensation.

I WOULD wash your lid and spray it with star san before putting it away for the night just in case there are any contaminants on the lid that may condensate back into the wort.

This time of year, cant you just put it outside for a couple hours ? seems like it's frigid everywhere this winter ...freaking snowed in Texas last week , eh @Yooper ?

It didn't snow down this far- but they cancelled school due to some ice on the road. It was really cold at night, too. Brrrrrr. My dog was thrilled, as he's a true Yooper dog and practically pranced during his walks. But by yesterday, he was swimming in the rivers and panting like he was roasting.

You should be able to fix the hole in the chiller by a simple solder if it's not too big.

Thanks everyone, cooled down to 68 and pitched the yeast.

Now to buy a new wort chiller. Found more holes, just too many to fix.

This makes me wonder. How old is it? Certain ph levels and water conditions can rot copper from the outside, some form the inside.

I assume the outside looks normal, are you on city water or well? Softened or hard?

It would be interesting if you could cut it in half lengthwise to see the type of failure.

This makes me wonder. How old is it? Certain ph levels and water conditions can rot copper from the outside, some form the inside.

I assume the outside looks normal, are you on city water or well? Softened or hard?

It would be interesting if you could cut it in half lengthwise to see the type of failure.

City water. It was a few years old and with the stretch of super cold weather and the probability that there was water in it and it froze, thinking/guessing that’s probably the cause.

Any bulging at the leaks? That would be the tell tale sign of a freeze.

A few years is not long enough unless it was supper thin material.

Since you're in the market... I just upgraded my IC to a Jaded Hydra. It's an awesome chiller.
I store mine inside the house to avoid issues of freezing.

Back