iSpindle - DIY Electronic Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rechargeable batteries are notorious. That’s why you can no longer fly with them in checked baggage. I mean there’s probably billions of them in the world that don’t spontaneously catch fire, but some do. So, I’d not panic too much, but let’s gather what info we can.

Rechargeable batteries are notorious. That’s why you can no longer fly with them in checked baggage. I mean there’s probably billions of them in the world that don’t spontaneously catch fire, but some do. So, I’d not panic too much, but let’s gather what info we can.

Here's a couple of pics of one that seems to be fine.

View media item 70567View media item 70566

Attachments

• 20191113_143116.jpg
    20191113_143116.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 144
  • 20191113_143125.jpg
    20191113_143125.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 139
Do you have a picture of the Wemos? Was the Wemos plugged into USB when it caught fire? Can you verify that the necessary diode was removed from the Wemos?

Edit: It looks like they removed the LED from the Gyro, so I'm not sure they wouldn't have removed the Diode from the Wemos, but I've forgotten before...

Hi Everyone! I'm doing a youtube video series on the iSpindel. I've gotten the PCB unboxing, assembly, and firmware flashing done so far. Next, I'll be doing a video on the different calibration methods and have completed a temp correct specific gravity reading formula. Hopefully, these vids can help some of you out :) Let me know what you think.

Hi Everyone! I'm doing a youtube video series on the iSpindel. I've gotten the PCB unboxing, assembly, and firmware flashing done so far. Next, I'll be doing a video on the different calibration methods and have completed a temp correct specific gravity reading formula. Hopefully, these vids can help some of you out :) Let me know what you think.

Looking forward to a simple calibration tutorial. Bit flummoxed with how to do it!

Looking forward to a simple calibration tutorial. Bit flummoxed with how to do it!
It's coming! I'll be covering how to calibrate the voltage of the battery, how to offset calibrate, how to do the quick method of calibration, and how to take multiple readings through fermentation for calibration as well. I will eventually compare the quick and long methods. I've also got together a temp correction specific gravity formula that I want to try as well. Thanks for watching.

OK with a little (read a lot) of help from GromitDJ I've pulled together a first bash of the board design, all the files are here hopefully that link works, the board is 30mmx40mm and should slide in nicely to the sled, and the switches should work too (unlike the shoddy soldering on the board I'm currently using.

I've ordered a few board from pcbs.io and if it all works out I'll drop a link to the shared board.

comments suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

View attachment 397041

Hi Mikmonken,

Thank you for sharing the schematic with us, which is very much appreciated.

Cheers.

Mikmonken/Klooid: If you see this, wanted to get those eagle files if available!

So after telling my local brew club about my iSpindle I started making a couple for members that wanted but having problems with 0º Tilt with a few of them!
I've checked the voltage on the gyro an that's fine, also done a "beep test" with my multimeter between D4 --> SCL and D3 --> SDA and there is contact!

Is there anything else I can check before ordering new gyros and try to replace them?

using cherryphillips v4 pcb

Hi all,

Have two iSpindels now the first setup without a hitch and is reading into my Brewfather. The second is randomly rebooting all of the time, not letting me sit on the Information page of the config menu, but most of the time rebooting before I can even connect to the config menu via wifi. I have retrieved the attached log and tried both reading the log when powered via battery and with battery removed and powered via 2A micro USB into the battery board and one micro USB into my computer. Any ideas?

Attachments

• iSpindel rebooting.txt
    24.1 KB · Views: 44
Have two iSpindels now the first setup without a hitch and is reading into my Brewfather. The second is randomly rebooting all of the time, not letting me sit on the Information page of the config menu, but most of the time rebooting before I can even connect to the config menu via wifi. I have retrieved the attached log and tried both reading the log when powered via battery and with battery removed and powered via 2A micro USB into the battery board and one micro USB into my computer. Any ideas?
Well, that's a crash for sure. You have the latest Firmware which I am using in the devices right here next to me, so I'd guess the code is not bad doing such a simple task. I'd recommend erasing the chip (different process depending on how you are flashing them) and reflash and try again. Definitely erase flash, not just re-flash the firmware. If you only do the firmware it does not erase all of the data areas.

Hi all,

Well, that's a crash for sure. You have the latest Firmware which I am using in the devices right here next to me, so I'd guess the code is not bad doing such a simple task. I'd recommend erasing the chip (different process depending on how you are flashing them) and reflash and try again. Definitely erase flash, not just re-flash the firmware. If you only do the firmware it does not erase all of the data areas.

And here you can find how to do that:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...tronic-hydrometer.598187/page-19#post-8366882

And here you can find how to do that:

Funny, I was watching a YouTube video a couple of weeks ago and the YouTuber used that as an example of how to clear the EEPROM and gave no credit to me, HBT, or anyone else.

I mean, I don't contribute much here. It'd be nice to get a "good boy" now and then.

Thank you! I spent a while this morning trying to setup python etc to complete this erase without luck and this method was a whole lot more simple.

Now it was a little bit more stable since performing the erase and re-flash at first but was still crashing. But now (after a few attempts at having a solid connection on the "Information" page staying connected) it is only reaching the config menu every 20+ attempts and does not stay on there long before crashing.

I can't understand how software could be such an intermittent fault? Is the optimal way of running the unit to view the log in PuTTY to have a 2A microUSB plug in the battery charge port (battery removed and switch in OFF position) and a microUSB plug in the Wemos into the PC?

Also are there any hardware checks I can do to confirm no hardware faults? ie. resistance across certain pins, continuity (or none) across certain pins, voltage at certain pins when running etc?

Have you tried with a different client device? With the ESP8266 libs I find it's most effective to connect to the config portal with a phone.

I have been using my iphone 8 mostly, tried with my Wife's iphone with same results of crashing and then my laptop would not even connect to the wifi before a crash/reboot.

It must be something with the hardware/soldering.

This is kind of interesting.

Preface: Last wednesday I went to the Saint-Sixtus Abbey in West Vleteren Belgium to collect a case of beer that I ordered. It is kind of special because you only can order this beer online, maximum 2 cases at a time, and you have to collect it yourself with a car with a licenseplate that you have to register in your account on their website. Also they open their webshop once every two/three weeks for 2 and a half hours and you wait in a queue until it is your turn.
Now I have one refregarator in the kichen for household use. For beer I have a large one in the shed to cool and a small one for fermentation which is completely off of course when no brew is on the go. So when I got home I let the case in the living room until the next morning just out of layziness because I just drove 600km and was behind the wheel for 7 hours.
The next morning I thought it was a good idea to put the beer in my fermenting fridge, leave the fridge off, just to keep it naturally cool and protect it from freezing.

Now here it comes: I put my iSpindel in the fridge in between the bottles just to monitor the temperature so I can intervene whenever the temperature gets to low.

When I put the bottles in the reported temp was 14 degrees Celcius(57F), now two days later temp is like 6 degrees Celsius(43F) in the fridge and stabelizing around that temp. Now I know that temperature has an effect on gravity readings but what has struck me that it has such a big effect, it dropped 9 points while the iSpindel isn't moving at all, it is fixed in between the bottles. So maybe time to enter a temperature correction factor as well for my next brew.

Screenshot_20191214-134727_BrewSpy.jpg

And just for fun a pic of the beer :)
20191211_135607-COLLAGE.jpg

And a pic of the route to the abbey:D
route sint sixtus.png

I took interest in the ispindel a while back but was too busy to take on the build. The other day I put in an order for some parts from areas I bookmarked featuring the build. I went back and forth on 3D printed sled and making my own shield vs one of the designed PCBs as I have a 3D printer. I opted the route of the PCB as I’ve never ordered a custom board before and I think it could be a neat way to simplify life and make a good looking product. I purchased the version 3.1 board I think and they are on the way. The stupid pcb way site I found kind of hard to use so I didn’t realize that This was an outdated version of the board until I decided to do some reading in here. Looks like the version 4.0 board is what everyone is using. Looking at the differences it seems to address my main concern when I was looking at the board version 3.1 uses the 4 pin chargers with no protection. I was weary but decided to give it a try. I’ve used the 6 pin ones in other diy projects and are comfortable with them and trust them. It appears the version 4.0 now uses the 6 pin chargers and I’m not sure any other differences. After seeing the battery explosion post above and seeing the pictures featuring the 4 pin charger I’m starting to think I should order the 4.0 board and just eat the cost of my accidental order of the 3.1 board. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I took interest in the ispindel a while back but was too busy to take on the build. The other day I put in an order for some parts from areas I bookmarked featuring the build. I went back and forth on 3D printed sled and making my own shield vs one of the designed PCBs as I have a 3D printer. I opted the route of the PCB as I’ve never ordered a custom board before and I think it could be a neat way to simplify life and make a good looking product. I purchased the version 3.1 board I think and they are on the way. The stupid pcb way site I found kind of hard to use so I didn’t realize that This was an outdated version of the board until I decided to do some reading in here. Looks like the version 4.0 board is what everyone is using. Looking at the differences it seems to address my main concern when I was looking at the board version 3.1 uses the 4 pin chargers with no protection. I was weary but decided to give it a try. I’ve used the 6 pin ones in other diy projects and are comfortable with them and trust them. It appears the version 4.0 now uses the 6 pin chargers and I’m not sure any other differences. After seeing the battery explosion post above and seeing the pictures featuring the 4 pin charger I’m starting to think I should order the 4.0 board and just eat the cost of my accidental order of the 3.1 board. Thoughts?

For me, it would depend on which version of the charging board I had ordered. If I had the 4 pin board and the 3.1 PCB I would probably go for it and assemble at least one of them to test with. At least this way you could work out any bugs in your process. The first one I assembled had a bad gyro. Not sure if it was bad or I screwed something up.

Then I would order the 4.0 board and the correct 6 pin chargers. It would bug me that I ordered the wrong ones. But I would feel much better knowing I had the charging protection.

Apologies as I haven't read all 29 pages. Is there a DIY kit that can be ordered somewhere? I want to do my first IoT edge device whilst contributing to my homebrewing, but I'm a NOOB and hoping there is a "easy" way to do this. Thanks in advance.

Apologies as I haven't read all 29 pages. Is there a DIY kit that can be ordered somewhere? I want to do my first IoT edge device whilst contributing to my homebrewing, but I'm a NOOB and hoping there is a "easy" way to do this. Thanks in advance.

Not as far as I know. I looked for several days off and on for a kit before I gave in and purchased all of the parts. My understanding is that Tilt owns the patent(s) for these types of devices. Any commercial use or reference would violate those patents.

Not as far as I know. I looked for several days off and on for a kit before I gave in and purchased all of the parts. My understanding is that Tilt owns the patent(s) for these types of devices. Any commercial use or reference would violate those patents.

Partially assembled: https://3d-mechatronics.de/de/ispindel-teilmontiert/-partially-assembled_962.html

Hi folks. I'm interested in putting together some iSpindels for myself and homebrew club members. Based on the iSpindel 4.0 assembly links from Open Source Distilling (https://www.opensourcedistilling.com/ispindel-assembly), I put together a public AliExpress shopping list for all of the parts except for the iSpindel circuit board and the bottle pre-forms.

https://my.aliexpress.com/wishlist/shared.htm?groupId=100000018336352

It works out to ~$20 per iSpindel, when ordering 5 of each piece of hardware when ordering through AliExpress. It'll take quite a while for the parts to get here, up to 2 months. I matched the pictures and descriptions from AliExpress up with the Amazon links from the Open Source assembly list.

Last edited:
I just tried to order from this site, however it’s impossible to create an account with a US address, as they do not include the United States as a country (only US outlying islands). I’m also unable to select a state outside of Germany. Although I have shared this link myself in the past, I’m wondering if anyone has successfully ordered from this site.

Hi folks. I'm interested in putting together some iSpindels for myself and homebrew club members. Based on the iSpindel 4.0 assembly links from Open Source Distilling (https://www.opensourcedistilling.com/ispindel-assembly), I put together a public AliExpress shopping list for all of the parts except for the iSpindel circuit board and the bottle pre-forms.

https://my.aliexpress.com/wishlist/shared.htm?groupId=100000018336352

It works out to ~$20 per iSpindel, when ordering 5 of each piece of hardware when ordering through AliExpress. It'll take quite a while for the parts to get here, up to 2 months. I matched the pictures and descriptions from AliExpress up with the Amazon links from the Open Source assembly list.

Hi!
Be aware that this build is calculated on "the gram!" to be correct! I ordered a "wrong" WIFI module (heavier!) and a battery (also heavier!) and it turned out to work completely wrong. Battery to be used must be 44 gram (printed on the PCB!), not 49 gram as mine was. It´s easy to add weight not so easy to cut some...as in life! Someone should sell complete set with everything correct, just assemble, work done! Good luck with your build!

Hi!
Be aware that this build is calculated on "the gram!" to be correct! I ordered a "wrong" WIFI module (heavier!) and a battery (also heavier!) and it turned out to work completely wrong. Battery to be used must be 44 gram (printed on the PCB!), not 49 gram as mine was. It´s easy to add weight not so easy to cut some...as in life! Someone should sell complete set with everything correct, just assemble, work done! Good luck with your build!

That's good to know, thanks! The AliExpress list I put together is based on what the dude from Open Source Distilling bought, and from his videos the build appears to work. If you see something wrong on the list, please let me know and I'll fix it.

For posterity, do you have links to the "wrong" WiFi modules and batteries you purchased, so we can avoid doing the same?

That's good to know, thanks! The AliExpress list I put together is based on what the dude from Open Source Distilling bought, and from his videos the build appears to work. If you see something wrong on the list, please let me know and I'll fix it.

For posterity, do you have links to the "wrong" WiFi modules and batteries you purchased, so we can avoid doing the same?

Hi!
I talked/wrote to Open Source Distilling-guy, he also struggle with the angle of iSpindel, probably cause of weight-issues. My iSpindel I used this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WeMos-D1-E...var=671570060459&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I see that its not the same as in shopping list, but did not think it would matter that much. I learnt it does!
But I will get it to work...somehow! ;)

Back