ISO Recommendation for my spare hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbeiden

Reaction score
I have a plethora of leftover hops from too many past batches. I’m planning on doing 2x 10 gallon all grain batches this week and I’ve always liked the idea of doing a junk beer with my spare hops. It’s bound to come out drinkable and be rather interesting. My plan isn’t to use them all, but attempt to use a bunch in ways to make a real cheap batch that still tastes great as a house beer. I was thinking middle of the road flavors and somewhere that most people could enjoy. Pale Ale, Golden, ESB, types for example. I want to play around with alpha acid %’s and aroma/bittering characteristics. Anyone want to throw in their $0.02 on how they’d brew with these?

For the two batches o figured one would be the junk beer and the other a completely planned recipe - probably pulling a few of these if they still stick around.

Thanks for any ideas! (I do not have the temps to lager a beer so those recipes would be out for me)

Hops to play with:

Magnum - 2 oz
Cascade - 2.5 oz
Simcoe - 2 oz
Mosaic - 0.5 oz
Chinook - 1 oz
Perle - 1 oz
Hallertau - 0.5 oz
Falconer’s Flight - 1 oz
Amarillo - 1 oz
Centennial - 1 oz

Willamette - 8 oz
Apollo - 7 oz

Mosaic, Cascade, Centannial, Simcoe - pale ale or IPA
Perle and Hallertau - blonde ale or mild wheat beer
Willamette - can be an acceptable sub for English styled beers, but many use Fuggles or Goldings
Amarillo - blonde or wheat ales/lagers.

... and don't get hung up on the "not able to lager" idea if you have space in a refrigerator.
If you're bottling, ferment with ale yeast on the cooler side of your temperature range and bottle normally. Put the bottles into a spare refrigerator for a few weeks and you'll have a bottled lager. "Lagering" is a process so you can technically use a cool-fermented ale yeast, carbonate in a bottle, then cold-age your beer afterward.
Bingo, "pseudo-lager" ale.
"Lagerbier", on the other hand, most usually refers to a wort fermented on the cold side with lager yeast strains, then stored at cold temps for a smoother, less yeasty flavored beer with little to no esters or phenolics you'll find with many ale strains.

Thanks guys, I think I got it after nerding out on it for a bit

RAH Pale Ale (Randome Assortment of Hops)

Mash 154 - 156

10 Gal in Mash, 6 in sparge

18 lbs US 2-Row
2 lbs Car 40
2 lbs Munich Light 6.5

1 oz Chinook @ 60 [22.8]
1 oz Perle @ 60 [14.6]
1 oz Centennial @ 30 [6.51]
—> 2lbs Corn Sugar @ 15
2.5 oz Cascade @ 0
0.5 oz Mosaic @ 0
1 oz FF7C @ 0
1 oz Amarillo @ 0

IMHO Chinook can be harsh as a 60 min addition. I tend to use them at 30 min and less, and use them I do ,they are one of the hops I purchase by the pound. Perle is my favorite bittering hop(the 60 min addition matters in the final flavor). I would move the Chinook to 30 and increase both 30 min ones to make up the IBU's. I've started splitting my 0 min in half and put the second half in at +10 min after flame out and around 180* and whirlpool for up to 30 min.

Thanks hottpeper13 - That is exactly why I asked for help. I read about the harshness and think I would like it, sounds similar to why you order Chinook by the lb. I moved some things around based on your recommendations. I like that lingering bitterness. Let me know what you think about this, and fun info on the -10 minute 180* post-boil. This gives me 45 IBU - I moved 1 oz of Cascade to 60 to get that back, to keep the Centennial at 30 - I love that hop.

1 oz Cascade @ 60 [16]
1 oz Perle @ 60 [14.6]
1 oz Chinook @ 30 [7.98]
1 oz Centennial @ 30 [6.51]
—> 2lbs Corn Sugar @ 15
1.5 oz Cascade @ 0
0.5 oz Mosaic @ 0
1 oz FF7C @ -10 (after flame out)
1 oz Amarillo @ -10 (after flame out)

Latest posts

Back