Is WLP833 a stinky bastard?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonedef131

Reaction score
The plan is to brew a Maibock tomorrow. So a couple days ago I made a great big starter, threw it on the stir plate and left it at 58F till this morning. It was all fermented out so I moved it to the fridge to cold crash it and pulled up the foil to grab a sniff. It did not smell good, no necessarily contamination but not something that made me want to take a drink.

So is this yeast expected to put off some sulfur and the like? I will pour a bit off and taste it when I get home from work, but this is my first time using the yeast and I am curious about what to expect.

i haven't used 833 but am using 830 now. If its sulfur I'd say you're good - lager yeasts are notorious for this smell and taste. If it's something else I'd be careful - especially if it's plasticy or bandaidy.

It was hard to say what it was, it was pretty early. I am going to go home and pour a bit off and drink it to see if I can get an idea of what it was.

Back