Is Well Water OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggerthanyou83

Reaction score
Ok were I live we have well water. And i dont plan on brewing with it because i absolutly hate the taste and the smell of it. However I was woundering if i could use it to mix with my no rinse sanitizer. The water does have high iron bec it turns out sinks brown. What do u guys think? i just dont want to empty bottled water to sanitize my beer stuff.

Thanx
G:mug:

i was living at a house with soft well water that had a sulfur/egg smell. the well water was ok to mix with sanitizer in the short term, but while storing the sanitizer in my carboy for months/weeks, a slime/skin would settle to the bottom of the sanitizer, and the sanitizer would start to turn cloudy.

i bought a filter for $20 at the hardware store, and then i was able to use the water for sanitizer and even for the beer itself. http://www.creativemag.com/images2005\npPROCTERANDGAMBLEPUR.jpg i did have to add some minerals when i started doing all grain.

What sanitizer are you using? Star-San and Iodophor both have a pH limit and if your well water is particularly alkaline, it could neutralize the sanitizer pretty quickly.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Home Brew Talk

Back