Is this yeast worth washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrods22

Reaction score
I have washed and re-used my first batch of yeast... Now a buddy who brewed with us last time left me his batch for me to move from primary to secondary and I am "wrestling" with the idea of washing it. Seems like a no-brainer however these are two issues with his last batch:

1) He mixed WYEAST 1056 AMERICAN ALE and a type of champagne yeast.
(So I wouldn't have a pure strand of 1056)
(Would one of these two yeast "dominate" each other?)

2) His last batch DIDN'T ferment all the way...so is it poor yeast?
(He does a lot of "crazy" things so maybe it is too messed up)
(Plus the smack pact was almost a year old and not fully developed when he pitched it)

I have a gut feeling on this but what would you recommend?

I would pass. Do you really want a mix of old 1056 and champagne yeast? I mean how could you really predict how the yeast would effect future batches with the two mixed? It may not be a big deal but why take the chance that the combination would be a little weird. Plus you know the yeast was past it's prime anyway.

i would pass unless i was doing an american barleywine in the near future...edit, i would go to the lhbs and get ingredients to do an american barleywine and pitch directly on top of that sucker.:rockin:

Yeah, who knows what would actually be getting... Thanks!

Actually I like the barley wine idea, I might try that.

Will that yeast last a week, or until I can get the ingredients in?

Back