Is this the stupidest article you've ever read? Discuss.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ale originated in Britain. It’s brewed at room temperature and tends to contain more hops and malt than lager

i knew i was putting too much malt in my lagers.

And we wonder why new brewers get so confused when they start out....... idiots like this with a keyboard and a lack of knowledge pontificating like they've got it all figured out are muddying the waters.

"Where Knowledge Junkies Get Their Fix"

I would be hesitant to trust the "knowledge" of any article that came from those buffoons based just on that one.

"As a side note, you should be aware that you can’t believe everything you read."

....or, as the Japanese saying goes, "If you believe everything you read, better quit reading."

I would add, "...and especially on the Internet."

A forum like HBT is especially valuable due to what I would describe as an "immune system" effect. It's not that someone can't come on HBT and post something incorrect, or just a plain old howler. But there are so many knowledgeable people who check this forum that this material will be corrected, often within 5 minutes. There are also reputable, verifiable sources of factual information on the Web. But the Internet in general? You can't swim the Olympic 100m freestyle in a wading pool.....

Whoever wrote that article could have spent 15 minutes reading Wikipedia and not written so many incorrect "facts".

That article read like they had some drunken conversation with a homebrewer the night before and wrote up what they could remember the next morning.

Crap! I reused my ale yeast for my last batch. Since I can't reuse ale yeast, all that bubbling I saw was just the wort laughing at me. Time to pour it out and start over. . .

Lol you guys all just cracked me up! Yeah I emailed them too. Was quite a silly read and I thought a few of you would get a kick out of it. Cheers!

Apparently they got the message because the page is no longer available.
Sure did :D

Lol you guys all just cracked me up! Yeah I emailed them too. Was quite a silly read and I thought a few of you would get a kick out of it. Cheers!
Were you BJ?

Had this response from them in my email this morning. Kind of impressed.

Hey IP (they used my real name). Two things I don't know anything about: brewing and how to access that section of the site.

(There are other things, too.)

I just got another email from someone named B.J. about this, too. That 'What's the Difference?' section is not my part of the store, but I'll forward around your email to the rest of the people here and figure out who wrote that piece, and how we can get it taken down.

Ale originated in Britain. It’s brewed at room temperature and tends to contain more hops and malt than lager

Hmmm. Maybe my Ale would taste better if I start adding lager to the recipe.

Oh man. I can't believe the lack of basic knowledge contained in that article. Who on God's green earth thinks that only lager yeast can be reused? I guess they don't know the lil yeasties all settle out when they're done. And lagers light & fruity? English ales hoppy & nutty? Some have a bit of nuttiness,sure.
But talk about glittering generalities. And they're mostly wrong or dead wrong to boot. Sheesh!:drunk:

I'm B. J. and I wrote them too.

I emailed the address that was listed as their "web contact" or something like that, but he did not seem to know much about that part of the site.

Back