Is this the same thing as BYO's 150 Clone Brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, it's different. I just got the clone issue in the mail ($5, $2 shipping). Lots of great recipes in it.

They're both good, but the BYO has many more recipes for less money, great value!

Wolf said:
They're both good, but the BYO has many more recipes for less money, great value!

150 > 150 ? :confused:

The partial list of recipes on Amazon and some of the reviews on the book suggest that it leans much more heavily on mainstream commercial beers (particularly light lagers) than the BYO mag, which is much more micro-focused.

That said, if I looked at the book half as much as I look at the BYO clone issue, it'd be well worth $10.

IMHO, betwen the two, I prefer the North American Clone Brews Book. I have both, but I have used the North American book much more.

skeeordye11 said:
IMHO, betwen the two, I prefer the North American Clone Brews Book. I have both, but I have used the North American book much more.

what do you like better about the book?

Evan! said:
This showed up as recommended by Amazon in my inbox. Is it the same thing as the BYO clone issue, just published as a book?

The folks that wrote this book have a homebrew shop in CT:
http://www.maltose.com/

They sell kits for all their clones and have them all listed on the website. They are writing another book too.

If you check the back issue of Basic Brewing Radio..."How to Brew Clones" one...they are interviewed. It is interesting because most of their clones in the first book were trial and error...they would give recipes to their customer, ask them to brew it, and then taste it and change it if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
brewt00l said:
what do you like better about the book?

First, just the recipes in general. I'm a big fan of American beer anyways. The North American book give the recipe in a partial mash format and then has notes on the side for extract w/ grains as well as all-grain. The clone brews book gives the recipe in extract form with the partial and all-grain notes on the side.

Beerrific said:
The folks that wrote this book have a homebrew shop in CT:
http://www.maltose.com/

They sell kits for all their clones and have them all listed on the website. They are writing another book too.

If you check the back issue of Basic Brewing Radio..."How to Brew Clones" one...they are interviewed. It is interesting because most of their clones in the first book were trial and error...they would give recipes to their customer, ask them to brew it, and then taste it and change it if needed.

They are also on the BYO advisory board...I would imagine some of the recipes in the 150 clones are prb theirs too.

skeeordye11 said:
First, just the recipes in general. I'm a big fan of American beer anyways. The North American book give the recipe in a partial mash format and then has notes on the side for extract w/ grains as well as all-grain. The clone brews book gives the recipe in extract form with the partial and all-grain notes on the side.

Dig. Thanks.

The book in the OP is good, but has a whole boatload of beers that, while I'm sure are great, I'll never be able to find prior to brewing to sample.

I have used that book several times, and had great success with it. I recently picked up the North American version, and my only complaint is that it changed the format of the recipes from extract, with given ounces of hops, to PM with AA units for hop quantities. Not a big deal, but it's different.

Of course, that was also a good excuse to go make a mini-mash tun. :D

brewt00l said:
They are also on the BYO advisory board...I would imagine some of the recipes in the 150 clones are prb theirs too.

in byo mag, some are there takes on cloning a beer and some list at the bottom of the recipe that the actual brewer gave them the recipe to get as close as possible on the homebrew scale

I have the Clone Brews book, and noticed that many of the recipes include cane sugar as an adjunct. I just have reservations about using sugar; wondering if anyone has tried any of the recipes in the book that include it.

I have the Clone Brews book, and noticed that many of the recipes include cane sugar as an adjunct. I just have reservations about using sugar; wondering if anyone has tried any of the recipes in the book that include it.

I was listening to the Jamil Show on Belgian Golden Strong Ales and he says that the whole "cidery taste" thing is way overblown...and that you can used up to 25% cane sugar and be just fine.

Back