Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommyb52

Reaction score
IMG_00000087.jpg

IMG_00000092.jpg

IMG_00000093.jpgI'm brewing this right now using this recipe-https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bee-cave-brewery-bavarian-hefeweizen-35679/ and have these little floating things that look like strips of cardboard. Is this normal for this all grain? Maybe I didn't vorlauf clear enough? Is a whirfloc tablet needed(but this is a Hefe)? Thanks,

Hot Break guaranteed. I had exactly the same wonder about it the 1st time I all grain brewed but after a quick google search it put my mind to rest.

Like said above just strain the cooled wort as you rack it into your fermenter

Looks like hot break but more importantly the boil isn't strong enough, a better boil, will I think clear this up.

Hot Break guaranteed. I had exactly the same wonder about it the 1st time I all grain brewed but after a quick google search it put my mind to rest.

Like said above just strain the cooled wort as you rack it into your fermenter

I don't even bother straining. It all settles out at the end of the ferment and the beer will end up clear.

Thanks for the responses. The pic isn't so good probably due to it being taken on a Blackberry(not the best phone). It was boiling and my stove was on full blast and it boiled over onto my stove top. Forgot to line the stove top with tin foil to help with the clean up of such a mess. All went well,pitched yeast @ 62 deg. and it's in my basement @ 64 deg. now. I will raise the temp. slowly after the 1st week in the primary because I heard Wyeast 3068 could produce too much sulfur smells.

Back