Is this normal? Not sure if this is too much sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madk1ng

Reaction score
Sorry for another "did I mess up" type of post >.<

Here is the subject in question:
zYFjmxA

(also attached)

It's already done carbonating (3 weeks now in bottle). I know sediment is normal but is this too much or does this look like something else?

It's a wheat beer with a fruit puree.

photo (7).jpg

I have never bottled homebrew, but that doesn't look like too much to me. Just try to leave most of it in the bottle when you pour.

Thank you for the reassurance mates!

I had a bottle in the fridge with this much sediment - just did exactly as you said; slow pour. WOW! Came out really tasty :) And the color looks great too.

Looks fine to me also. You can get significantly different amounts of sediment in bottle depending on how clear your beer is at bottling and how cleaning you rack/transfer to your bottling vessel. If you have cloudy beer, or you rack over some sediment, or you used a low flocculating yeast, then you'll usually have more sediment than those times when things were clear, cleanly racked, and well flocculated. Additionally, fruit has the potential to leave "stuff" floating around that takes a while to settle out. I did a peach melomel last year and it took the better part of 6 months for it clear up well enough to read through (reminds me: I still need to bottle that :D)

I too would like to know how long it was in primary before you bottled and did you use secondary fermentation? To me, it seems okay. I would say that if I held up any one of my beers upside down to the light and let the yeast fall from the bottom to the top, then I would see stuff too. I don't think that is a sign of infection.

I would drink that for sure but as other say, pour slowly and don't be afraid to lose a half ounce to the bottle to avoid drinking the stuff on the bottom.

Don't worry about it being infected until you try it.

Depending on whether you do a secondary and how you rack, you will get some of those.

I do 5-gal batches. It usually produces 38-40 good bottles, then after that I seperate the last 6-pack because those bottles will get a lot of sediment as you get near the bottom and get more trub, similar to what you see here. I drink those myself instead of sharing so people don't get grossed out by it :)

You should have seen my cran-pomm plambic. It was like mud on the bottom of some bottles. Ended up tossing a few because I couldn't get them clean no matter how much I soaked or scrubbed. .

Back