Is this normal for low pressure propane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/fvs0qPTar0c

This is my first time using low pressure propane, but it seems too low, and the regulator doesn't seem to adjust anything. I'm using the regulator and orifice from brewers hardware, meant for low pressure propane gas. The flame is barely an inch tall and its totally silent.

I would say that flame is about 2/3 what my Blichmann is on high pressure, Just a guess from the video. Maybe adjusting your air would stop the yellow jumping flames?

Is that a barbecue regulator? They're usually only good for a half-psi more or less, and their rate of flow isn't usually very good.
So yeah, that's definitely "low pressure", and probably "low volume" as well.

So do you have a low pressure orifice on that burner?

Cheers!

That burner will produce a lot more heat than that. If you want to stay low pressure
( sort of) see if you can get a 0-5 PSI regulator, that way if you need a little extra heat in the beginning it won't be an issue. If you want to really turn down the heat to simmer a smaller sized pot, you have the option. Best of both worlds, IMHO.

EDIT: I have an SQ10 (50K BTU) burner and a 40qt pot, and I have plenty of heat for my needs. I also have a 0-5 PSI regulator and enjoy being able to set the flame exactly where I need it.

Back