Is this mostly yeast, or sediment? (after washing)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevreh

Reaction score
Ok, so I did a 1-step wash. That is, I scooped a bunch of sludge off the bottom of my fermenter (which was used for two consecutive batches btw), let it settle, then transferred to a seperate mason jar, then topped off with sterile water.

I believe it is, and the second photo shows how its taken off with a gheto-ferment (using fruit juice).

The first photo is after I let it settle overnight.

DSC_0180small.jpg

DSC_0181small.jpg

Woodland brewing has done some testing and found that there is a substantial amount of viable yeast in the grub layer. He has shown that viability is virtually the same in both layers. The beer layer tends to have bacteria in it so either decant and replace with sanitized water or just make sure you decant before pitching.

Edit... Reread and realize that you did decant. You should be good to go. Although I wouldn't recommend making a starter with juice.

Ha ha, yeah it seemed like so much yeast, so I decided to ferment something to test it. Yes, even juice. Not for a starter though.

Back