Is this infected!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackyackyatko

Reaction score
Hey guys my first ever beer im brewing its really bittery its the coopers diy my next batch ill be trying to do my own hops ect

But should i just throw this away

IMG_20170619_124535_072-756x756.jpg

are those things floating on the top green? or just white? If its furry then probably is infected. What is that brown thing in the middle?

Yea, doesn't look good. 100% a tosser.

Understand what sanitation is. If you're not using starsan, get some. If you don't know what that is, ask. Make sure everything gets blasting with it before it goes in the fermentor, including the fermentor.
Don't open the fermentor for 2 weeks. No peeking. If you've pitched good yeast, there's no worries. You'll only be introducing airborne bacteria every time.

Yikes. That looks more like a scoby than yeast. Looks like fungus. Was this an open/wild fermentation?

I wouldn't mess with mold. I'd be tossing that and cleaning it with PBW and sanitizing with Star San a few times over.

I'm pretty sure the cantaloupe addition brought in the bugs.

I do wonder what that is in the middle there.

The middle part looks like the only healthy part. Ive had that happen before, where fruit ruins a beer, i'll probably not be doing another "fruity" beer for a while

Bleach bomb the hell out of everything and take a look at the way you handle your yeast, as the majority of infections happen because of improper handling.

The mold is from the fruit, the lacto from something else unclean, did you open the bucket one to many times?

If you're going to use fruit, scrub the hell out of it and let it soak in vodka

Back