Is this infected???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwmoose152

Reaction score
Wine kit in secondary for two weeks. Thoughts?

ForumRunner_20111108_200158.jpg

Wine kit in secondary for two weeks. Thoughts?

View attachment 38015

Ewwww! It sure looks bad to me! I"ve NEVER seen "yeast rafts" in a wine secondary, and I've made about 500 gallons of wine.

Didn't the instructions tell you to top up in secondary? Usually the instructions tell you to top up right after degassing to prevent that sort of thing. You're a good 4 inches from topped-up. I'd call the kit manufacturer and ask about that.

If it was my wine, I'd add 6 campden tablets (crushed and dissolved) immediately (it's a 6 gallon carboy, right?) and top it up right away! You want NO headspace.

Yooper said:
Ewwww! It sure looks bad!

Didn't the instructions tell you to top up in secondary? Usually the instructions tell you to top up right after degassing to prevent that sort of thing. You're a good 4 inches from topped-up. I'd call the kit manufacturer and ask about that.

This its the wifes hobby! I was busty brewing away a pumpkin ale when this mess was transferred. I feel bad for her...don't know what she did there!

I'd still add the campden (can't hurt- might help) and top it up. You can use some commercial wine, or even water, but top it up right away once you dose it with campden. Any headspace is ruinous to wine.

Yooper said:
I'd still add the campden (can't hurt- might help) and top it up. You can use some commercial wine, or even water, but top it up right away once you dose it with campden. Any headspace is ruinous to wine.

What should I use to clean the carboy??

Back