Is this enough washed yeast for my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Three jars of washed wlp 001. The two outer ones were used and rewashed on 2/12 the one in the middle was washed in oct. There is a bit of hop debris in one but otherwise their mostly pretty clean. Should I combine all three? I have two other jars in the fridge, rewashed on 2/12, also if you think more is needed. I have yet to get a stir plate so I'll prob have to do a stepped starter anyway, what date for the yeast should I use on Brewers friend yeast calc, 2/12 when the last batch was rewashed? View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425670984.130964.jpg

I would pitch the one from october and combine the other two into a new starter.

I would pitch the one from october and combine the other two into a new starter.

Pitch as in throw it out??? I have a 3rd jar from 2.12 that I can sub in it's place and then just use 3 jars of the most recently washed yeast. So is the Oct one no good, I have one other jar in the fridge.

Pitch as in throw it out??? I have a 3rd jar from 2.12 that I can sub in it's place and then just use 3 jars of the most recently washed yeast. So is the Oct one no good, I have one other jar in the fridge.
Hahah, what a funny clash of colloquialisms with brewing terms! Yes, I would throw out, down the drain or in the garbage, washed yeast from October. We aren't wyeast, yeast-in-a-jar should probably be used within a few weeks.

You could use all three yeasts from 2.12 or just two.

Hahah, what a funny clash of colloquialisms with brewing terms! Yes, I would throw out, down the drain or in the garbage, washed yeast from October. We aren't wyeast, yeast-in-a-jar should probably be used within a few weeks.

You could use all three yeasts from 2.12 or just two.

Ok thanks, that's what I figured you meant. lol. I really needthe freshest stuff possible since this is going into a 9% DIPA, I may use all three jars just to be on the safe side plus the fact I don't have a stir plate. Appreciate the thoughts.

I use harvested yeast fairly frequently in starters 2-6 months out. I use the date harvested as the "package" date. Judging by the amount of yeast that I get after crashing those starters it seems to be right, and I get good healthy fermentations. Are those pint jars?

I use harvested yeast fairly frequently in starters 2-6 months out. I use the date harvested as the "package" date. Judging by the amount of yeast that I get after crashing those starters it seems to be right, and I get good healthy fermentations. Are those pint jars?

Yes they are pint jars

Is this enough washed yeast for my starter.
Sure, but improve your rinsing technique and you won't need one. ;)

190319d1396460274-never-wash-your-yeast-again-washed-yeast.jpg

These are quart jars . . .

Sure, but improve your rinsing technique and you won't need one. ;)

190319d1396460274-never-wash-your-yeast-again-washed-yeast.jpg

These are quart jars . . .

How in the world did you not only get all that but get it so clean. When I wash I wait until I get the distinct separation of the layers in my 1 gal jug then I fill the pint jars and I always end up with about this level of yeast.

The biggest trick is to keep the wort going to your fermenter as clean as possible. Good hot break, good cold break, good whirlpool and give it all time to settle before transfer.

The biggest trick is to keep the wort going to your fermenter as clean as possible. Good hot break, good cold break, good whirlpool and give it all time to settle before transfer.

I think the settling part is my problem. I get a definite hot break, a fairly quick chill but I'll usually lift the pot up to my table and transfer right away. I think I need to give the stuff time to sink back to the bottom of the kettle after I remove my immersion chiller

49.gif
62.gif

thanks for the replies. Pitched the old one and used two of the newer ones for the starter.

Why wash it in the first place. Slurrry has been working real good for me, and I don't have to fool with starters. Did I mention that starters are a pain in the butt?

Why wash it in the first place. Slurrry has been working real good for me, and I don't have to fool with starters. Did I mention that starters are a pain in the butt?

I don't have a slurry on hand and this also gives me something to do, if I cant brew a full batch this atleast makes me feel like I'm doing something brew related. Yes I'm pathetic, lol.

Back