Is this Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeydinner

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my tenth (AG) brew. It's an Imperial IPA with a nice 8.4ABV/71 IBU. For some reason it came much higher OG(82 VS 70) and a bit lower FG(17 VS 20) than expected.
I have had similar infections like this a couple of times(probably my plastic fermenter or just bad luck), but this is the cutest of them all. I have looked/searched _many_ articles and posts, but for some reason I haven't seen a clear phtographic/visual distinction made between brett VS. lacto VS. other nasties. So, can someone confirm that this is indeed Brett?

Also, I know I should let it condition for a bit and then drink it rather fast in fear of an explosion. But are there any other notable sideeffects?

Thanks!

unnamed.jpg

Nice looking infection! It really is pretty cool looking.

I don't do lambics/sours, so sadly I can't really help you out with identifying the microbes responsible for this.

However, I will say that if you've already had a couple of prior infections plus this one, the problem is either your cleaning/sanitizing techniques or your equipment. I certainly wouldn't call it bad luck.

If it were me, I'd replace all of your tubing and your plastic fermenter. Do you happen to stir with a metal spoon in your fermentation bucket? A metal spoon can scrape against the sides of your bucket and create scrapes where wild yeasts and bacteria can live.

Review your cleaning and your sanitation process to help figure out why you're getting infections.

I've had something that looked like that once. Was the tastiest beer ever. Still, I cleaned my equipment with bleach afterwards and whatever it was, it never came back.

I would assume brett, most lacto strains cant handle high amounts of IBUs but it could also be Aceto Bacteria essentially vinegar producing bacteria that thrive on ethanol oxidizing, turning the ethanol into acetic acid. This could be from your beer being over exposed to oxygen. I have had some IPAs with brett that are awesome but not knowing the strain it could end up bad. If the beer continues to drop in gravity you could have a brett infection, Brett feeds on unfermentables in the wort and just about anything else. If the beer starts to taste/ smell like vinegar then you know its Aceto Bacteria.

Hope this helps, I would suggest getting new equipment if the problem persists in future batches

Back