Still can't brew a good hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
I dunno what I'm doing wrong with my hefes, but I just can't seem to make a good one. Or even a reasonable one. At this stage I'm looking for ideas on what to try next, although I feel I have tried a lot of different things already.

I have made 5 batches now and don't feel that progress is being made. They are coming out tart, a little smelly, estery and generally unpleasant. I'm not getting those wonderful aromas and flavours that one would associate with hefeweizens. All my other brews are coming out really nice - I feel my pilsners and lagers are up there with the good commercial versions, supposedly a lot harder to brew than a hefe.

Here's the full details on my process for the latest batch for anyone willing to take the time to read. I apologise in advance for the length...

Grain bill - 40% white wheat, 35% Weyermann pilsner, 10% vienna, 10% dark wheat, 5% caramunich. I went for a slightly unusual / darker grain bill since I wanted to bring down the pH without using acid malt (which was my prime suspect for the off-flavour).

Hopped to 13 IBU using Tettnang with a 60 min addition only.

Water adjusted to target 22ppm Ca, 7ppm Na, 0ppm Sulfate, 35ppm Chloride. Our water is quite soft, I added very modest CaCl2 additions to bring up the Calcium and all additions went to the mash. Treated the water with Campden to remove any Chlorine / Chloramines.

Mash with a 20 min acid rest at 44c then 50 mins at 67c. Measured with brand new calibrated thermometer which I have since confirmed the readings against another good quality thermometer. Mash did lose a few degrees over the 50 mins (finishing at 64c).

Room temp mash pH was 5.5 after 20 mins. Bang on what Brunwater said, I have read that hefes are better at the higher end. This is using a cheap meter however so let's say +/- 0.2. Batch sparged by lifting the bag into another vessel (then again into another vessel).

90 min boil to reduce DMS. Lost some wort to boilover and OG finished a bit low at 1.043, but I don't imagine this would affect things terribly. Chilled to pitching temps in about 30 mins.

Pitched 3 month old WLP300 pack using a small non-decanted starter, pitched slightly under the recommended pitch rate and no wort aeration.

Fermented at 17c/62f in a temp-controlled swamp cooler, probe in the beer. I calibrated the STC-1000 in an ice bath and checked the temps against a good quality thermometer to make sure the temps are good.

At 12 hours there were mild spots on the top of the wort, good krausen and busy airlock at 24 hours. Fermentation finished at 1.008 on day 4 and I left it in primary until day 10 then bottled.

Am confident in all aspects of sanitation - the fermentation was done in glass, everything sanitised using Starsan, no accidents and no reason to think it's a sanitation issue.

Despite what I thought was a solid brewing process, bottling sample tasted pretty much the same as the last batch, tart and nasty, though perhaps not as bad. I was really hoping that the WLP300 would bring a nicer yeast character but doesn't seem to have changed much.

I'm kinda at a loss as to what to try next. I'm in a small town in New Zealand with no brew club but I'm thinking I need to track down some BJCP judges and send them some bottles around the country for an opinion (plus some bottles of good beer for their trouble). We don't have a brew club in town but we do have several craft nanobreweries - maybe I could hassle them for an opinion?

Otherwise, does anything here stand out as a problem? Any suggestions on what to change next time? I brew 1 gallon at a time so at least I'm not stuck with bulk lots of terrible beer. This is actually hefe batch 5 and I have tried several different variables already - different ferment temps, WB-06 / Wy3638 / WLP300 yeast, acidifying the mash vs not, water additions vs not, single infusion vs acid rest, wheat/pils grain bill vs the darker one here, yeast pitch rate, different brand of malts etc.

Thanks for reading :)

The only thing I could suggest is a little less bitterness. I like mine around 0.22 BU:GU ratio, which would put it at 9.5 IBUs for an OG of 1.043. The BJCP guidelines show IBU range of 8 - 15, and OG range of 1.044 - 1.052. If you figure the average of these, you get BU:GU of 0.24. It might not seem like much of a difference, but I enjoy mine much more since reducing the bitterness. Good luck.

With WY 3068 banana esters are increased by under pitching the yeast and fermenting warm. You may get the same results with WLP 300. 17°C is very cool for this yeast. Optimum fermentation temperature on the White Labs site is 20° to 22°C.

my water is fairly hard (179 ppm), and my hefeweizens from before I started playing with water adjustments were very good and very authentic tasting (i lived in bavaria for 6 years, and drank quite a bit of hefeweizen there).

even the lighter ones were quite good, and brunwater says the ph is is way way too high. If you haven't read this magazine article, you should http://braumagazin.de/article/brewing-bavarian-weissbier-all-you-ever-wanted-to-know/ , particularly the parts about ph, hard water, etc...

I'm still in the experimentation stage, but the batch i have fermenting now I went about half of the water adjustments recommended for other styles of the same color. If that seems like it's working, I will probably do another non-adjusted batch with my hard water to taste them back to back. for sure, the ones i did before I learned about water were better (unlike every other style I brew, all of which have improved dramatically). Once I started acidifying the mash, the hefeweizens got thinner, tarter, and just not as good. The tartness makes me suspect the PH is just too low for the style.

fwiw, brunwater estimates a mash ph of 6.19 for my old unadjusted recipe (6 lbs wheat, 3 lbs pils/vienna/munich depending on mood). That ph would result in a nearly undrinkable pale ale, but due to various factors listed in the linked article, it works fine for a light hefeweizen.

regarding fermentation temp, i have had best results at 62* F using 3068 yeast (I don't much care for the other weizen yeasts). Your mash temps are exactly what I use.

Oh, one other thing, I usually do 3 5-gallon batches in a row, traditionally doing the first one with no starter, and then re-using the yeast with 3/4 cup or so of yeast slurry in the 2nd and 3rd batches. The first batch has *always* been thinner, tarter, less delicious (but still pretty decent) than the following ones, and noticing this significant difference is what led me to start doing starters for the first batch of every yeast (2-3 cup starter for 5 gallon batch).

I hope some of this helps. As I mentioned, I am still experimenting myself, so these are just ideas filtered through my palate, not gospel.

Back