is this beer done???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
Black Widow porter OG 1.071 and FG of 1.026

I am thinking that the gravity should be lower but am not sure how to get it there or if to worry about it. It tastes great when I have done hydro readings. But the recipe called for it to get to about 1.020. Any thoughts???

the recipe is out of JZ's book "brewing classic styles"

BW Porter

Beer: BW Porter Style: Robust Porter
Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5.4 gallons
Color: 115 HCU (~39 SRM)

Bitterness: 30 IBU
OG: 1.071 FG: -
Alcohol: -
Grain: 1.51 lb. German Munich
1.00 lb. American crystal 40L
0.75 lb. American chocolate
0.51 lb. American black patent
Boil: minutes
7.0 lb. Light dry malt extract
Hops: 1.75 oz. Kent Goldings (5% AA, 60 min.)
0.76 oz. Fuggles (4.75% AA, 15 min.)
.75 oz. Kent Goldings (aroma)

What yeast you used, how much, and method (starter or not) would be helpful, along with how long it's been in primary and if you moved it. I assume it's been steady at this slightly high reading for a few days?

dry notty - with 1500ml starter. yes it has been steady at this Gravity for a few days. just on package of notty that i made a starter with

dry notty - with 1500ml starter. yes it has been steady at this Gravity for a few days. just on package of notty that i made a starter with

dry yeast starters are beyond my expertise. :)

It's done fermenting though, and I'd want that FG to get down to 018 or so. How long has it been in what type of vessel? Temps?

This may be a Revvy special of gotta let it sit for a while once you bottle.

what is a Revvy special.
Not sure what you mean by letting sit awhile after bottling.
Do I not add priming sugar and hope it carbonates by itself???:mug:

Next time, omit the step of making a starter with dry yeast. Dry yeast are manufactured with nutrients that make starters unnecessary; it's easier just to pitch two packets. ;)

You're only at ~65% attenuation, and Nottingham should go to at least 75%.

Did you aerate?

Did you mash the Munich?

Have you roused the yeast? If it's in a bucket, you can use a sanitized plastic spoon to stir gently, getting the yeast back into suspension. If it's in a carboy, rock the carboy gently to swirl up the sediment.

With the answers to those questions, I can troubleshoot further.

Cheers!

Bob

Next time, omit the step of making a starter with dry yeast. Dry yeast are manufactured with nutrients that make starters unnecessary; it's easier just to pitch two packets. ;)

You're only at ~65% attenuation, and Nottingham should go to at least 75%.

Did you aerate?

Did you mash the Munich?

Have you roused the yeast? If it's in a bucket, you can use a sanitized plastic spoon to stir gently, getting the yeast back into suspension. If it's in a carboy, rock the carboy gently to swirl up the sediment.

With the answers to those questions, I can troubleshoot further.

Cheers!

Bob

Thanks for the support/reply.

i aerated like crazy.

yes I mashed the munich and actually mashed all the grains together. 1 hour at about 168F and then sparged with 163F water.

I have given the carboy a few little nudges but nothing too crazy.

If you mashed at 168 it's likely to finish a little high...mashes are usually conducted at 150-155. At 168 you probably killed off a lot of the enzymes and didn't convert, and what did convert may be unfermentable. Being only 3.25 lbs of grain it will come out fine, but I'd expect a bit more body and higher FG from the high mash temperature.

For partial mashes I mash at 152-153 and sparge at 170.

so if i mashed at too high a temp and 1.026 is all i get that is fine with me, but is there a reason to add more yeast or Beano or somthing to get it lower??

thanks

What Ifishsum said. That's what happened, unfortunately.

I wouldn't bother adding anything. The starches you got from your "mash" won't ferment no matter how much yeast you add. I admit to having zero experience with beano, so I can't comment on that. Neither would I use it, as from what I've read it's impossible to control.

You're going to be able to drink this beer. Might not be what you were shooting for, but it'll be beer, it'll be yours, and thus it will be good. Chalk it up to lessons learned.

Next time, have a good partial mash tutorial at your side for easy reference. That'll be invaluable, and it'll prevent issues like this happening.

Cheers!

Bob

Thank you for all the advice.

For future brews. Can I mash my small amount of 2 row or munich with my specialty malts(chocolate, crystal, black patent) all together at 153F?????

Thanks

Back