Is this batch ruined???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keger8tor

Reaction score
30577B66-E59E-4986-BCDB-B7CBECF83DC7.jpeg
I bought a plastic car boy so I could see the fermentation. Well this morning I saw it all over the table.

No, what goes out won't ruin your beer. What goes in could though...
But it may ruin your wall, ceiling, table, floor, or change how your significant other views your brewing career.

Just clean the neck area and around. Then spray or mop Starsan around the neck to sanitize it before removing the bung and airlock. You may want to wipe the inside of the neck too with a small Starsaned washcloth (don't drop it inside!). Wash, rinse, and sanitize the bung and airlock and reseat. All as good as new!

That carboy is pretty full, too small a headspace. We typically recommend 1/5 of the vessel to be headspace. But sometimes that's not even enough either. Look into using a blow off tube.

And more importantly, control your ferm temps. Lower temps ferment slower and cause fewer krausen eruptions. You're lucky it only oozed, and didn't blow the bung out.

Thank you! I cleaned it up, put more stars an in the bubbler. It is already full of wort (not sure what to call it at this point)again.

I also realized that I put almost twice the milk sugar I was supposed to. I guess I was doomed in this recipe. Blueberry Hefe btw. I may end up with wine.

Thank you! I cleaned it up, put more stars an in the bubbler. It is already full of wort (not sure what to call it at this point)again.

I also realized that I put almost twice the milk sugar I was supposed to. I guess I was doomed in this recipe. Blueberry Hefe btw. I may end up with wine.
As soon as you pitch yeast, wort turns into... beer!

Hefe's (the yeast) tend to give explosive fermentations, a notorious exception to the 1/5th headspace rule, they may need about double that.
But lower ferm temps, especially in the beginning, should keep the fermentation more in check. 72F maybe about the upper limit, but highly depending on the yeast used. Fermentations are exothermic, they generate heat, so inside that huge bottle it may well be a few degrees higher.

I place fermenters in a large cooler with water in a cool lower level bathroom. I dope that water jacket with a few frozen bottles of water when needed. I also use a dedicated fermentation fridge, but the water jacket really beats the fridge in efficiency and speed to keep temps stable.

FYI, milk sugars don't get fermented by Saccharomyces cerevisiae (most brewer's yeast). They're meant to keep the beer sweeter.

The proper name for that gunk you got into your airlock is krausen and the proper name for the bubbler is airlock. It will help you get advice in the future if you can learn the names used in brewing so others know just what you are asking about.

Th extra lactose will just leave you with a sweeter beer. You may like it that way.

As soon as you pitch yeast, wort turns into... beer!

Hefe's (the yeast) tend to give explosive fermentations, a notorious exception to the 1/5th headspace rule, they may need about double that.
But lower ferm temps, especially in the beginning, should keep the fermentation more in check. 72F maybe about the upper limit, but highly depending on the yeast used. Fermentations are exothermic, they generate heat, so
Thank you again for your help!
You put my mind at ease!

The proper name for that gunk you got into your airlock is krausen and the proper name for the bubbler is airlock. It will help you get advice in the future if you can learn the names used in brewing so others know just what you are asking about.

Th extra lactose will just leave you with a sweeter beer. You may like it that way.
Some people just enjoy correcting others. It makes them feel superior.
I didn’t use the word gunk at all. I didn’t even use the word bubbler in my original post that asked the question. Looks like you were able to figure out what I was saying. Thanks for correcting my verbiage. I always enjoy grammar police. Have a nice day!

Back