Is this an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cubes_Brew

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm currently cold crashing my third brew and noticed something odd. There is a white film and some bubbles on top of the beer. It's not completely covered and doesn't appear to be getting any bigger over the past two days. Nothing under the surface that I can see through the glass carboy. I used star san when I did my gravity checks, could the white film be star san? I use alot of it and it was dripping off my thief when I pulled samples.

I didn't notice any of this until I started cold crashing and everything sank to the bottom, had a lot of trub floating at the top. This has been in the primary for 3 weeks now. Yeast used was US-05, gravity started at 1.050 and ended at 1.008.

Couldn't taste anything funny/weird/off in the two samples I took and it smells and tastes good. I've included a couple pictures, sorry for the quality it's kind of hard to get a camera to focus through glass.

IMG_20201219_215828685.jpg

IMG_20201219_215757797.jpg

It looks like an infection to me. Check this thread out...
Pellicle Photo Collection
Do a little comparing. If we determine it is an infection it might be a dumper or you could grab a mixed culture pitch to add to it and just start a sour program. It might not make a good sour either but the cleaning will be the same.

Thanks for the reply, from what I could find I do believe it was an infection and regretfully dumped the beer. I sanitize and clean thoroughly but I inspected my equipment afterwards trying to find a reason why. Found 2 possible culprits:

1. Scratches inside neck of glass carboy. At first I thought it was just marks from the metal handle of my cleaning brush but nothing will take them off and I can feel ridges when I scrape on them with my finger nail. Carboy retired.

2. The thief I use to draw samples I found a hairline crack running vertical on the side, not big enough to leak but it's clearly all the way through the plastic.

Personally I'm too paranoid to take samples of a fermenting beer. I'm even very cautious when swapping out the blow off tube for the airlock. My beers usually sit in the primary for 3 to 4 weeks and I confirm the final gravity at bottling. So far they have all completed by bottling time and I didn't have to subject it to anything other than dry hopping.
Just my personal preference.

EDIT: Sorry for this post. Doen't help the OP at all. Maybe a suggestion rather than an answer.

Last edited:
Guessing the thief too. Something introduced late in the game. Just a guess of course.

Next time you use it, if you don't already, totally disassemble it when sanitizing. I find it far more likely something to get caught under an o-ring or component than a scratch in the carboy itself being an issue.

I had a beer like that... wasn’t bad. I did get new racking canes and hoses.
My uncle got one aswell. He just let it ride til finished fermenting, then he carefully got the nasty stuff out of there and bottled. He said it was more wine'ey , but he did drink most of it, didnt die so all good. haha

Back