Is this an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
I have a hefewiezen that was in my primary for 8 days and moved to secondary yesterday. Today I noticed this white foam ish stuff and tiny little flake looking stuff(maybe hops pellet remains). I took a sample, tasted ok, gravity started at 1.047 and is now at 1.013. Any advice as this is only my third brew??

image-3830571911.jpg

image-1975690552.jpg

image-785518536.jpg

Looks like residual CO2 and yeast rafts to me. Let it go a week and then report back. In the mean time, RDWHAHB!

You're fine, mon ami. Just the yeast and the beer doing what comes natural to it.

Worry if you see:

• Spiderweb-looking crap
  • White film on top that breaks into sheets when the carboy moves
  • Fuzzy blobs
  • Powdery-looking junk
  • Fungusy particulates and other nonsense
  • Tentacles and gaping, black mouths
  • Dark brown gunky stuff

Stuff you shouldn't sweat:
  • Everything else

You might want a little more headspace next time. If you get a vigorous fermentation it will come out your airlock.

You might want a little more headspace next time. If you get a vigorous fermentation it will come out your airlock.

solid advice for primary. for a "secondary", bulk age/clarifying stage/not an actual 2nd fermentation, that small amount of head space is fine.

All great advice and I appreciate it! Please keep any advice coming as I'm still a beginner! Trying to perhaps do a pars gal mash on my best brew?

jcs401 said:
All great advice and I appreciate it! Please keep any advice coming as I'm still a beginner! Trying to perhaps do a pars gal mash on my best brew?
Just step up to all grain, you wont regret it :D

Sometimes when you rack to a secondary, it reinvigorates the yeast and you get a little extra fermentation. Looks like that. The floaties are probably little bits of the yeast cake you sucked up that are floating up with the CO2 from the reinvigorated ferment, or for some other reason. Looks healthy tho.

Back