Is this a two stage fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuelie

Reaction score
My son has given me the ingredients to brew him a sour based upon Jamil's Flanders Red Ale.

The yeasts include a WLP-001 which I assume will go in the primary and a Wyeast 3763 that I believe goes in the secondary.

If these assumptions are correct, how long should I let the primary run before I transfer to the secondary?

This will be a BIAB and I plan to mash at 152 for 75 mins if that sounds appropriate.

The grains include:
5 lbs of Vienna Malt
4.5 lbs. of German Pilsner
3 lbs of Munich
.5 lbs of White Wheat Malt
.5 lbs of Aromatic
.5 lbs of Special B
.5 lbs of Caramunich

Boil will be 60 minutes with a 1 oz addition of East Goldings at 60 mins

Any recommendations for the temp of the primary fermentation?

Thanks for your feedback

Ferment the WLP001 at 68F down to FG, then rack into secondary and pitch the Roeselare, it too can ferment at 68F. This beer will take some aging, up to a year.

Your assumptions are correct and don't rack to secondary until primary has finished. You will know when primary is complete by taking gravity readings over a few days with no change. Like Helibrewer said, ferment both yeasts in the 66-68 degree range and wait!!! good luck with your beer and try not break down and pull it too early!!! Give it the time it needs.

If I were to add fruit to the secondary, at approximately at what month would I add sour cherries.

Thank You for your responses.

Latest posts

Back