Is this a good process im doing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westeinder Brouwerij

Reaction score
> I grind my own malts
> Make my wort using a braumeister system. Mashing temps all programmed in
> Cool down / pitch yeast
> Store wort in home made kegerator set at controlled temp.
> Primary ferment 1 week in plastic bucket
> Secondary ferment in glass 15L vessel / 2 weeks

Now i get a little confussed, as I want to keg / carbonate and mature. What should be the best steps now? And are my above steps sounding ok?

No need to transfer to secondary unless you’re dry hopping, or adding fruit. Leave it in bucket 2-3 weeks

Then keg, using proper kegging methods

Chill and serve

And can you explain these proper kegging methods? As thats what im looking for.

Thanks

Proper Kegging Methods:

Sanitize everything touching your new beer:

Keg
Siphon
Serving Lines

Then transfer beer from plastic carboy to keg using siphon...make sure to not take stuff from the very bottom. Once complete close keg and purge with CO2.

Once purged leave on gas and carbonate to your desired levels.

Cheers!

Well

You transfer fermented beer into sanitized keg, making sure all tubes, o rings and poppets are sanitized.

Hook up gas line and adjust tank to 30 psi, fill it, then burp keg by releasing relief valve. Repeat 3-4 times to make sure all oxygen is gone.

Then you fill again at 30 psi and have two options

You an Shake the keg for 1-1.5 minutes to mix in the co2 then keep at 30 psi for 24 hours or so, then lower pressure to 10-12, hook up beer line and try

Or once burped you can set tank to 10-12 psi and let keg sit with pressure on in kegerator for 5 days until pressured up

Those are the two most used methods that I’ve seen

There’s an entire section dedicated to kegging that has a wealth of info

As does you tube and google, which is how I learned

No need to make the same mistakes I did though

Thanks

Will it mature once in a keg?
Do I need to hold it at a fermenting temp or was carbonized cool it down in my kegerator.
How long can a typical tripel, IPa etc last in a keg

Thanks

Do I need to hold it at a fermenting temp or was carbonized cool it down in my kegerator.

Yes, all beer matures once bottled or kegged. A keg can last until there isn’t CO2 anymore...you of course loose hop flavor and aroma as time goes on but it ideally can last in a keg forever

So basically go from secondary ferment, keg, pressurize it 30PSI, vent out oxygen 2-3 times, leave it at 30 PSI, shake for a few minutes and put into kegerator to chill down to desired drinking temp and leave it.
When I want to tap off beer reduce pressure down to 15PSI

Sound about right ?

That’s about right

The serving pressure can vary

I use 12, but yours may differ

I don’t do IPA, but I can tell you that no beer lasts more than 30-45 days in my house....

What about transferring from the bucket to the keg at 1 week and using it for a secondary? Will the sediment clog the pickup tube, or will it all come out in the first pint or two once the beer is carbed?

That’s about right

The serving pressure can vary

I use 12, but yours may differ

I don’t do IPA, but I can tell you that no beer lasts more than 30-45 days in my house....
How long would tou leave it set at 30 PSI? And can you purge your beer with CO2, then disconect from the main CO2 bottle and just leave it in a cool fridge until you want to use it

No need to use secondary

I leave it in primary for 3 weeks or so

As far as leaving it cold under pressure, yes you can.

I leave it at 30 for 24 hours or so

So basically go from secondary ferment, keg, pressurize it 30PSI, vent out oxygen 2-3 times, leave it at 30 PSI, shake for a few minutes and put into kegerator to chill down to desired drinking temp and leave it.
When I want to tap off beer reduce pressure down to 15PSI

Sound about right ?

Make sure to lower psi of keg after 24 hours or so. You want to lower it to your desired psi at that point or you will over carbonate. Also for your keg liquid out line make sure it is the right length to prevent foaming. Too short = lots of foam unless you lower the keg psi which will decrease the carbonation if left lower then your desired carbonation level. basically if you want the psi to carb at 12 then the liquid line should be close to 12ft depending on the id of line. Definitely research carbing on this site as it is discussed a lot. Carbonation level is totally up to your taste.

* I keep my kegs between 8psi and 13psi at 41f depending on my hoppiness. lower psi highlughts the hops.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you.

Thanks

All beers need a little time and as the color of the beer is darker (porter, stout) or the amount of alcohol goes up (dubbel, tripel) the time needed to mature increases. I'd leave a session wheat beer in the fermenter for 10 days if it came to final gravity. An IPA would stay in the bucket for 2 to 3 weeks, then get dry hopped for 3 to 5 more days before kegging. Your tripel might as well stay in the bucket for a month because it will take some time to tame down. Once kegged and pressurized, you can leave the beer at room temp to mature more (except those that depend on hop aroma, drink them young), then chill it for 2 to 4 days to settle out any suspended yeast.

All beers need a little time and as the color of the beer is darker (porter, stout) or the amount of alcohol goes up (dubbel, tripel) the time needed to mature increases. I'd leave a session wheat beer in the fermenter for 10 days if it came to final gravity. An IPA would stay in the bucket for 2 to 3 weeks, then get dry hopped for 3 to 5 more days before kegging. Your tripel might as well stay in the bucket for a month because it will take some time to tame down. Once kegged and pressurized, you can leave the beer at room temp to mature more (except those that depend on hop aroma, drink them young), then chill it for 2 to 4 days to settle out any suspended yeast.

Thanks alot very clear and helpful.

How do these small nano breweries say they make so many beers each week to sell, when in reality it takes paitence and many weeks to make good beer?
There Seems to be a conflict in the stories posted by people on you tube.

My long term goal is to make great beer have fin doing it and if possinle also open small nano facilty in my village, trying to gather all the info I can.

A 10 barrel system makes 315 gallons so it doesn’t take long to stock up

They usually brew daily for 2-4 months before they sell anything

There are so many variables to making beer that it is pretty hard to pin them all down. A lot of maturing has to do with suspended yeast settling out but there is more to it than that. Not all breweries wait as long as they should either and I've been pretty disappointed by some I've bought and realized later that that beer could have been pretty good had it been stored warm for a couple months instead of put on the shelf in the cooler.

Back