Is this a BIGGGG BEEEER ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg Meyer

Reaction score
I brewed an Octoberfest kit, first kit I ever used. have completed over 12 whole sessions in a 1.5 year period. Have friend who has shown me how to extract without a kit and All grain. So. My starting gravity was1.090 I had a slow mstart to m european ale yeast and so I added dry yeast to the wort. 3 days after my session. i did not take a readign before the addition of the yeast. The wort just didn't look like anything had happened. Anyway 8 days later after a huge fermentation display I racked to secondary and took a final garvity reading. It is
1.011 which makes this an 8% beer? ?? Is that possible. I tasted the wort sample before claning out the tube holding my hydrometer and man was it good, i can't wait. the beer was bright, fresh, no off flavors and smooth. that even before the 2 weeks it's going to get in the secondary and then on to the 5 gal keg with C02.

So it that really what is called a big beer? It sure tasted light and really nice. There was a defined alcohol taste for sure.

Gregg:rockin: :mug:

That is a big beer, but i would let it mellow out for a month or two to see if that Alcohol taste goes away. All big beers benefit from some aging.

Cheers and Grats!

Gregg Meyer said:
1.011 which makes this an 8% beer? ?? Is that possible.

Its big, but there's possibilty to go much bigger. Whitlelabs wlp099 yeast supposedly goes to 25% ABV.

Hey look, another Gregg (with two g's) living in nebraska, just like me!

def a big beer. gratz!

This is a big beer:
photo1-beer.jpg

That is a biggie, alright, but certainly possible. I was with a fellow brewer when he produced an English barleywine, OG=1.12. I forget what he said it fermented down to, but I can't wait to forget more when I try it.

TL

Back