Is there any way to cap twist top bottles??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrustyOlJohnson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Cause I really like some Leininkuegels beers. And I hate buying beer and not bein able to reuse to bottles. I dont care about the environment, it jus makes the beer cheaper :)

Cause I really like some Leininkuegels beers. And I hate buying beer and not bein able to reuse to bottles. I dont care about the environment, it jus makes the beer cheaper :)

I've heard but never tried: bench cappers (as opposed to wing cappers) can get a tight seal, but they might shatter under the pressure.

I'm not going to risk the loss of the precious brew that I've slaved over by putting it in bottles that may not properly seal or may even crack (and I use a bench capper). Twist-offs aren't designed to take a crimp cap.

Try to find some friends who drink non twist-off craft brews.

Another vote for a bench capper. I hear it works but I'd never bother taking the chance.

So how does the bottle plant cap the twist offs? Special caps?

I believe that they use a type of crimping machine on the bottling line that forms the cap so it has threads to match the bottle threads.

The simple bell on my bench capper can't do that. I wish that it could. I can get more twist-offs than I could ever use.

really this...

make friends with a local bar that sells alot of pry off top bottles.
Ask the manager or other authority to let you take them. You are doing them a favor by taking them
I have scored about a dozen cases with minimal effort.
Most places recycle so just bring your own box and pick out the pry off bottles from their bins, leave the twists behind.

Score.

I tried, I failed with about 50% of that batch.. bad day. Some sealed, most did not.

That was with a wing capper.
I broke the first twist off I tried to cap with my bench capper. I know when to submit....

I asked for pry off bottles from friends....... I now have several hundred on hand, clean and initially sanitized (2 months in gathering) and throw away about 50% of the ones given to me now, as they have crap inside them and it's not with washing them.

As I keg now as well... I have not bottled in several batches... but still want to for several reasons..
End of the day,,, skip the iffy screw tops, ask around for pry offs, and before you know it, you'll be saying STOP..ENOUGH.. or just take them politely, and cherry pick the best ones, dump the rest.

Thanks for all the responses. Its not that I really have a shortage of bottles. Im cycling 24 cases of bottles right now. I jus wanted a way to rationalize buying Leinenkugels craft variety packs :)

I, too, have a good supply of pop-top bottles. I did try capping a screw-top bottle several batches ago...and no go! I'll just stick to what I know works for me.

glenn514:mug:

Back