Is there a drawback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kralenpregn7

Reaction score
Is there a drawback to, adding some freeze-distilled wine, to a batch of, lets say, a brew that brews for seven days, upping the potency, to prevent further fermentation... Then racking a few times, then bottling and letting it age. I know that freeze-distilling is illegal in America and Canada, but can someone tell my Why? Why does someone care, if I make a batch of wine, and freeze it, to collect the potent drippings. I don't sell it. I barely give it away....but I definately share it. Any help would be deeply appreciated.........In The Name Of Science.

Freeze distillation concentrates alot of the other less desirable fermentation byproducts that heat distillalation removes and as such is more dangerous than using a still. From what I've read both methods are illegal in the U.S.

I don't see any reason for what you would have been planning anyway. Couldn't you just use vodka? And again I can't see why?

The reason that distillation is illegal is that the government doesn't their cut of liquor taxes. No one cares that you freeze your booze(except possibly Mrs. Grundy) but if the government said it's fine to make your own liquor they'd lose a lot of tax revenue. They also say it's for your safety, but that's kinda like your parents saying "because I said so."

Adding wine, much less hooch wine, to green beer sounds repugnant. I can't imagine that would taste even remotely good.

Someone Who Isn't Me made some applejack out of some apfelwein. That had a kick, but man, the headaches.... It's the bad phenols that were still in the freeze distillation that made it hurt.

It's like RMCK1 said...Freeze concentration does not remove any of the "Forshots" that a pot still (Or fractioning still) would remove. If you read up on distillation, you will see that the minimal amount of "Wood Alcohol" or Methanol comes off of the still at around 160 degrees (Depending on altitude), and the "Hearts" don't start until around 165. Making good "CUTS" is essential, and is the reason that moonshine...bad as it is....is rarely the cause of a hangover.
When you freeze concentrate...thus making applejack or other such stuff...it does not rid you of any of the nasties, and in fact concentrates them too.
I can't imagine anyone who's had an Apfelwein Headache wanting to concentrate that. WOW:drunk:

And Ya...It's money....the government is afraid of revenue loss above all other fear.

Beer is good. Wine is good. But beer that tastes like wine is just wrong.

If your'e looking to make more of a port style wine, and cut fermentation off early, as mentioned, use vodka. For experimentation, try it with Ciroc. Think the flavor combination of the grape based vodka and the wine would blend well, but never tried it.

Back