Is there a danger zone when bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRonco

Reaction score
I just bottled my Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in determining how long till your safe from bottle bombs. Every time I bottle I remember reading the "not IF, but WHEN" thread. Can it explode at anytime during carb/conditioning? Does the pressure equalize at some point?

Thanks for any insight.

It depends on the reason for the over-pressurization. If you put in too much priming sugar, that will likely go in the first couple weeks or not at all. If you've got an infection of some sort, that can creep along and happen months later.

MalFet said:
It depends on the reason for the over-pressurization. If you put in too much priming sugar, that will likely go in the first couple weeks or not at all. If you've got an infection of some sort, that can creep along and happen months later.

Thanks, I used Palmer's recommended priming rates. I think I should be good from that stand point. I guess I'll continue my "OC" sanitation practices

The only times I've had bottle bombs (from overcarbonating, not infection), it happened within the first 7-10 days of conditioning. Although the bottles that didn't explode still foamed up aggressively upon opening months after bottling.

Back