Is ther such thing as too slow.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siet6773

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as too slow fermentation. I had trouble get fermentation started because i was in too cold of an area. Got it started and moved it back to where i wanted it. Digital readings of temp are 45-42F. Only two weeks in to fermentation. It is bubbling but at a rate of 2 bubbles per minute. I want a slow cold fermentation not sure if that is too slow Just right or what?

Depends on the yeast. This would be a little cold for an ale or wheat yeast, but natural yeast and most lager and champagne yeasts will do well at this temp.

45F thats kind of chilly for the poor yeastis, I keep mine worm and happy at minimum 65F, plus you should also try staggered nutrient additions or a brew belt if you want to speed things up.

I have heard of many ciders being fermented in the set it and forget it mode.
Fermentation starts as the temperature drops, then they are left out in freezing levels for months, then as spring thaws them out, the yeast come back to life and finish the ciders off.
I personally have never done this, but the people who do LARGE batches this way swear it is the best thing ever.
I think heat is the real problem, cold just slows it down for half a year at places.

Latest posts

Back