Is the TAP enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr1nkBeer

Reaction score
Okay, so I've decided to put a keg of Guiness in my fridge and i've already got the U Coupler, Faucet and the cool handle.. all for under 90 bucks. Yea.. i got great deals...

Now.. the only thing i'm debating is if i actually need a N2 tank and regulator?... Can i get the cascading bubbles using just the faucet and CO2 I already have?...

CO2 won't work. You need about 30 psi to push beer through a stout faucet. The "nitrogen system" is actually 70% N2 and 30% CO2 so you get a partial pressure of about 10 psi of CO2 with a delivery pressure of 30 psi. If you go 100% CO2, it'll be way overcarbed

okay... then that lead to my second question... will a Paintball tank get me through a 1/2 keg? and will CO2 regulator work for N2/co2 mix?

on the flip side.. can it be all N2?

It depends. N2 bottles are rated for higher pressure (4000 psi vs. 1800 for CO2, I believe). If your gas supplier is willing to fill a CO2 bottle with beer mix, there's no reason a CO2 regulator wouldn't work. However, the ones I've dealt with won't put it in anything other than the N2 bottles.

Don't know about the paintball tank. My guess would be "yes."

just spoke to my gas guy.. he said as long as it has the CGA 580 connector/thread he can do any mix i need... i'm gettin excited this is the last piece to this puzzle.

okay.. so i ran a test using the guiness tap and about 20 PSI of CO2 and rather than guiness I tried my latest Wit... weird i got the cascading effect with my wheat beer?:confused:

its not fullly carbonated but I suppose CO2 may work for the guiness. I actually already order my GMIX tank so this is sort of pointless but just had to know the difference.
Thanks for the replies.

Back