Is the ABV of my Perry too low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happyhammer

Reaction score
Hi,

First some vital statistics...
  • OG = 1.044
  • SG = 1.020
  • ABV% = 3.1%
  • Primary 21 Days
  • 2nd racking yesterday, day 38
  • Racked twice and crash chilled (obviously way too early)
  • No sediment in Demijohn
There is no action in the airlock and the SG has been the same for two days.

And now for my question... Should I add some sugar to restart the fermentation and increase the alcohol to avoid it spoiling or is it too late? Will it spoil at 3.1%ABV?

Hi,
Should I add some sugar to restart the fermentation and increase the alcohol to avoid it spoiling or is it too late? Will it spoil at 3.1%ABV?

you've already got plenty of sugar in there although I guess with the sorbitol it's not as high as with cider. Whether it restarts depends on yeast, not on whether you add sugar. And without knowing what micro-organisms are present or could end up in it later, and things like pH, it is difficult to say if it will spoil. There is commercial cider and perry with ABV as low as 3. Something with elevated alcohol would be better protected than lower, all other things being the same.

I suppose my main question is what was your FG goal, or at least what was your approximate level of perceived sweetness goal? What do you think of the flavor as-is?

I didn’t really have an FG goal I just wanted to see where it went. It’s at about 22C and tastes ok but not spectacular. I used Mangrove Jacks M02 Cider yeast. I’m happy to leave it where it is as long as it won’t spoil.

Back