Is Stella Artois crap to anyone else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was bashing it before I was on this forum, it just sucks to me. if you like it that's fine, I like guinness and see it get bashed all the time. I understand the reasons some people don't like it, but we can still have our own opinions

Funny but last friday we wentt to a party, wife stopped by store asked for a sealed 12pk of stella and long story short I got only 1 beer before it was gone.

Just another Euro BMC and no it wasn't skunked.

I did a bit of reading up on Stella and it turns out it's 'premier lager' rep comes from long ago when in the UK most beers were brewed to 3%. Stella was brewed to something like 5.5% and considered a 'premier' beer. It cost enough anyway! So it was considered a 'premier' European lager, like Hieniken, in the UK market.

However, in the late 90s, and early 00s, most beers including so-called imported America lagers like Bud where starting to move up to and above 5%. Stella cut costs and started using a large portion of Maize sugars instead of malt, started using less hops and started chemically processing for a under 1 week lagering.

It is mass brewed in Belgium and in the UK and somewhere else I can't remember. Not only is it brewed in several different places, it is brewed in different strengths and other modifications for different markets. So there isn't really any "one" beer called Stella, rather it's a product range, manipulated for it's market. Maybe they thought the America market liked skunked European lager, so they brewed it specially for you :)

Lately, like in the late 00s they jumped on the inititive with a lot of other brewers to lower their ABV, but rather than spoil their fan base, they released Stella 4%. It's slightly sweeter, has a nice hop flavour and smell and generally isn't a bad session beer.

I get mine (stella 4) in cans, in 12s for about $16. All in I like it, but I wouldn't call it anything special.

Oh and they sell the 5% version in green bottles over here too. Usually, though not always in the fridge under florescents. Although I doubt it will sit as long on the shelf as it would going to the states.

Are you guys sure they don't also brew it over there for the US market?

No me gusta!!! Plus, I find it hilarious when someone orders it with pretensions that they're getting a great European classic.

I like Stella...it was traditionally the "peasants" beer so the rebranding as premium is as useful as triple-hopped and cold brewed. Stella, Becks, Urquell are fantastic for mowing the yard...and yes, its an aquired taste.

Calichusetts said:
I like Stella...it was traditionally the "peasants" beer so the rebranding as premium is as useful as triple-hopped and cold brewed. Stella, Becks, Urquell are fantastic for mowing the yard...and yes, its an aquired taste.

Fresh Urquell, or even from just a can, is actually a *fantastic* beer.

I always find it funny when Stella is amongst the premium imported beers here in Australia. Back home (UK) we called it "wife beater" and generally avoided the stuff.

For a generic lager it's ok, and a step above the likes of Carling (IMHO), but I can't say I think it's actually good.

I just bought a couple of these from my Liquor Store just to see what all the hype was about. After they were cooled in my fridge (liquor stores are not allowed to keep anything in the fridge around here) I popped one open and poured it into a glass. Had a very strong skunky smell and tasted like crap. It tasted like a rotten Heinekin that was left out in the sun for too long. And the next day (about an hour ago) I had a movement that smelled the exact same as the Stella.

sorry for the rant

Yep, Stella is crap alright. Just cuz it comes from Europe, doesn't mean is doesn't suck. I'll take a doppelbock or a wee heavy anytime.
Regards, GF.

Stella was the closest thing they had to what I consider a good beer on a 2 week mediterreanean cruise we took a few years back. Wife and I had an $800 bar bill coming off the boat. Had a lot of fun, but got burned out on Stella. Don't think I'll be having another one....ever.

Gothnet said:
I always find it funny when Stella is amongst the premium imported beers here in Australia. Back home (UK) we called it "wife beater" and generally avoided the stuff.

For a generic lager it's ok, and a step above the likes of Carling (IMHO), but I can't say I think it's actually good.

XXXX all the way baby!!! WOOT!

I've tasted it several times over the years, and never really cared for it. I chalked it up to improper handling along the distribution lines. It always tasted skunky to me.

~r~

I've had it on tap a few places and it's really good. The bottles I've had have been skunky. I haven't tried the cans yet, but I'm willing to bet they're good. I've had a lot of canned beer that's better than the bottles (new Belgium, warsteiner, Heineken )

I've had it on tap a few places and it's really good. The bottles I've had have been skunky. I haven't tried the cans yet, but I'm willing to bet they're good. I've had a lot of canned beer that's better than the bottles (new Belgium, warsteiner, Heineken )
+1- gotta get it on tap or in a can!

Stella in a can is really very nice, and it is a shame their bottles are not packaged properly.

It seems like world class professional brewers would care that those green bottles ruin their beer, but apparantly they do not.

I've had it on tap and out of the bottle and am not a fan. I'm not a fan of this style, whatever it is, in general, but it was the weird chemical taste that always stands out to me. I can't put my finger on it, it just tastes like chemicals.

I dont care for it. I dont care for green beers in general. I hear they are better in other countries and I wouldnt know. But for me in this country I would pass for better options if presented.

I have a feeling most people who posted here are not a fan of the style more than the beer itself.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative that they find better?

I only enjoy Draught aswell, I can't drink it out of a bottle, it just gets too skunky. But there are way better beers out there, but its not crap if its draught but crap in bottles!

It's not an easy beer to replicate at home. I have some friends who really like it, but have never seen a really good clone that came out well. Maybe I'll give it a go next fall and keg it up.

Stella is not my favorite, but I did have some fresh out of a keg in Brugge and it wasn't too bad. Definately been served much much worse. It was bubbly, clear and a tad bit lifeless. Perfect for the default beer drinker.

I walk into a bar...... oops who put that bar there? old joke... anyway I ask what is on tap? Well we have Bud, Bud light blah blah and Stella. I'll take the Stella.... Especially if it comes in a "Chalice"... for some reason those "Chalice" follow me home.

Saw a beer documentary on history channel a while back...they were at the Stella brewery. They showed the wooden fermentation vats that were kept underground, they open ferment it and only access the room via candle light, take a sample, hold it to.the candle and.look....HOWEVER, none of that makes it here. We get the production beer upstairs. Stella got its prestige from what is in the wooden vats, they get their money from what's in the stainless cylo's

Had a choice between BMC, Bass, Guinness or Stella and decided to try the Stella again. Not a bad beer but it's very bland and a little sweeter than I would like.

Back