Is Stella Artois crap to anyone else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
weirdboy said:
Charlie Bamforth shared a story at the NHC this past week.

Being from the UK, where there are no skunks, he had never smelled a skunk in his entire life until he moved to California to take the job at UC Davis. Soon after getting to the US, he and his wife are driving around when they smell that odor and he turns to her and says, "My God, Heineken have opened a brewery here!"

Love it! I will be re-telling this story over and over again!

No, but good taste, cmon. Just because you bash a beer on an internet forum doesn't mean you have "good taste".

_

everyone's tastes are different. What is good to me might be bad to you. and vise versa.

I'll probably get some hate for this, but I actually enjoy a little skunk in my beer from time to time. I know it's a fault, I know what causes it, I know that "good beer" shouldn't taste like that, but I think it adds an interesting dimension to an otherwise very plain lager. if my choices are BMC in a can or a 6er of Heinie, I'll grab the green bottle every time.

:drunk:

There is nothing wrong with a little skunk. I will pick up a 6er of Heinie's every now and then but something about this Stella just sat wrong with me

No, but good taste, cmon. Just because you bash a beer on an internet forum doesn't mean you have "good taste".

_

i knew what you meant, i was just kidding:D

everyone's tastes are different. What is good to me might be bad to you. and vise versa.

wrong. i'm the ultimate judge of whats good and not good (or well..?). while i let you people have your opinions, only i can tell whats good and bad.

I actually tried my first stell the other night at a restaraunt, I didnt think it was too bad, but BMC definitely came to mind. The best part, I told the waitress i was gona steal the fancy glass, as she kept coming by clening the table of plates and things, she kept leaving the glass sitting there empty...I didn't have the nads to stuff it in the wife's purse, but as we were leaving the waitress caught me at the door and discreetly handed me the glass :) :mug: (I hope she doesn't get fired and I knew I should have left a better tip):cross:

I'd take a Stella on tap over a buttweizer but that is not saying much. It's like eating a cat turd over a dog turd............it's still a turd :rockin:

I will NEVER drink that beer again. I had one at my daughters wedding rehearsal dinner. Never had one before, and it was the only thing they had that wasn't BMC, so I thought, how bad can it be? It didn't taste quite right, but I didn't want to insult the father of the groom, so I drank it. I ended up with a bad case of the sh**s the next night all through the wedding reception. Does anyone understand how inconvenient that can be when you are wearing a tux with suspenders? I shudder everytime I see it in the cooler at the store.

The worst part of it was we had the wedding reception at the Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee, and I could have been drinking good beer that night!

I like the glasses. If a place only has BMC or Stella on draught, I'd take the Stella.

il_fullxfull.85067211.jpg

The glass is pretty sweet.

Umm Stella is BMC.

I just cant get into pilsner no matter how hard I try. It could be the best pils in the world it still wouldn't do anything for me tbh.

I mostly agree, but gordan biersch had a czech pilsner that I thought was pretty tasty. Actually had some flavor, not at all bland.

It could be that this is a much different style though, I don't really know too much about styles, especially pilsners.

We make a pilsner at the brewpub and its very delicious. It makes me realize that there really are other things in those commercial ones that give them unusual flavors. Its a shame that commercial brands have given the name pilsner (or lager for that matter) such a bad name to us beer geeks. As long as they are made correctly they can be just as flavorful and delicious as ales.

Stella has an unquestionable skunky flavor to it. The majority of people i find drinking it (without sounding too pompous or opinionated) are people that have never had good beer but have more money than the typical Bud drinker.

I'm always so sad for the drinker when i see someone spending $6 on a stella when a solid craft is available.

stella artois; reassuringly expensive.

99.9% of people i see drinking stella are people who a) don't drink beer and b) think they're buying the cream of the crop when they buy stella.

weird beer - fantastic marketing.

Just grabbed a six with a buddy a week ago after eating a bunch of bbq and drinking homebrews all day. Stella SUCKS!!! For some reason (before I started brewing and drinking craft brews) I used to think it was good. They say your palette changes every 12 years or so. Mine must have been malfunctioning. Never again.

In the UK most "real ales" average out at about 4%. Most of the lagers on tap are either 4 or 5.

Fresh Stella (brewed here under license) isn't too bad but it has gained the nickname of "wife beater" due to its effect, in large quantities, on the swilling underclasses.

My local pub so hated the image that they swapped it out for San Miguel (also brewed here under license and equally, IMHO, poor)

Same results - just a new nickname, it's now known as "señorita beater".

If I'm in Paris, I'll drink Stella and it's great. If I'm in Spain, I'll drink San Miguel and it's great. What is it with the licensed copies that make them so bad?

Where is the Stella that you buy in the US manufactured (notice that I didn't say brewed)?

Stella ON TAP (not light-struck) - pretty tasty.
Stella in a green bottle - pantherpiss.

Wonder how long it'll be before AB/InBev starts brewing Stella in St. Louie...

Agreed on tap vs bottle.
The Stella I get here is brewed in Belgium and in a can it's great. I wouldn't buy any euro Lager in a green bottle anymore. But I like most Euro Lagers anyway. Heini in a can is also good.

Stella ON TAP (not light-struck) - pretty tasty.
Stella in a green bottle - pantherpiss.

Wonder how long it'll be before AB/InBev starts brewing Stella in St. Louie...

are you sure they dont? It seems like it would be extremely expensive to ship a liquid thats 95% water across seas. I would be surprised/impressed if it wasnt brewed in the U.S.

are you sure they dont? It seems like it would be extremely expensive to ship a liquid thats 95% water across seas. I would be surprised/impressed if it wasnt brewed in the U.S.

Not sure. Wouldn't surprise me either way.

Doesn't matter. Anywhere that sells Stella has something better. If they don't I'm going to another bar/store.

And when I say pretty tasty...I mean it tastes like a mass-produced pilsner/lager/yellow fizzy hop soda should taste, without the eau de pole cat.

thezepster said:

Yes, it's transported overseas. No, it's not actually a big deal. Heck, it is still considerably more expensive than gasoline... the benefit to their image and branding in North America by being brewed in Europe is worth the extra cost to them. And really... we're in the 21st century. With containerization and modern shipping practicfftttt

I might crack open my second one i bought just to give it a second opinion. I will post my results and make sure i have a good homebrew ready to wash the taste out of my mouth.

Those glasses are sold at Target.

For me if I must, skunky beer needs a lime. Carryover from Corona I'm sure. I don't like it but some people love the skunk. My mother's favorite homebrew is a Belgian Pale Ale that I intentionally light-struck. So now I bottle a few lighter beers in green bottles and skunk them for her. She likes what she likes and I'm not going to try to convince her (or anyone else) otherwise.

i'm guessing SpanishCastleAle is also your brewery name (in addition to your screen name). i like that, its pretty sweet

i'm guessing SpanishCastleAle is also your brewery name (in addition to your screen name). i like that, its pretty sweet
Thanks. It was the name of a beer I made, then I needed a screenname when I joined so I just picked the first thing that came to mind. Then I won one of Deep Sea's mash paddles in the first HBT comp and had to come up with something for him to engrave on the handle and Spanish Castle Brewery seemed appropriate. It's 'stolen' from the Jimi Hendrix song Spanish Castle Magic. I almost never name my beers.
[/threadjack]:)

I just finished a six pack.....I like it, as well as heineken, and st pauli girl, however becks I remember being a little rougher.

I had this beer at a restaurant a few weeks ago. There wasn't much to chose from. Just the bmc and the like so I ordered it. I didn't think it was all that bad and would order it again if the beer choices were limeited and they had it.

I'd drink it in a restaurant over BMC if they were the only choices available but I wouldn't if it cost an extra 2 or 3 bucks like it usually does.

that's how I feel, I'm not paying any more for something that only sucks a little less

There is nothing wrong with a little skunk. I will pick up a 6er of Heinie's every now and then but something about this Stella just sat wrong with me

That sounds like me. Except with me it's Amstel light. They always taste skunky to me. Ive had 2 or 3 good ones but I'd rather not risk it.

Back