Is Sparkolloid still produced?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny2

Reaction score
I thought sparkolloid was discontinued in 2020, but I still see it being sold by LD Carlson. Isn't the brand owned by Scott Labs?

It's no longer produced. Too bad, as a great fining agent but has a DE component (diatomaceous earth) that is dangerous if inhaled. Those selling it have old stock, but doesn't really go bad.
Huh. Didn't know that. Yeah, it's on our shelves, but don't know what's in inventory.

You said "we." That's your shop?
Ha! No man, just work there a few hours a week in more or less post-retirement. Crazy thing is they gave me my start in the '90's, when I knew the original owner.. He sold it to the current guy, nice "kid," (man...when did everyone become "kids"!) not that long ago. And they just celebrated their 50th anniversary!

Also just found out the original owner founded it because he has his own vineyard and found it tough during the 70's to get in his own winemaking supplies. So he thought to himself, might not be a bad business, and the rest is history.

Ha! No man, just work there a few hours a week in more or less post-retirement. Crazy thing is they gave me my start in the '90's, when I knew the original owner.. He sold it to the current guy, nice "kid," (man...when did everyone become "kids"!) not that long ago. And they just celebrated their 50th anniversary!

Also just found out the original owner founded it because he has his own vineyard and found it tough during the 70's to get in his own winemaking supplies. So he thought to himself, might not be a bad business, and the rest is history.

Sounds like the perfect retirement gig. I'm semi-retired, only doing part-time, from home. I should find a job like that, maybe one day a week. Keep me out of trouble. ;)

Sounds like the perfect retirement gig. I'm semi-retired, only doing part-time, from home. I should find a job like that, maybe one day a week. Keep me out of trouble. ;)
Good for you Max. Great thing is we get a substantial discount on everything. And good just to be around the community again. "Work" yesterday was brewing up an extract kit oatmeal stout for customers to get a sense of how easy it is to brew. Reminded me of the early days!

Back