Is s23 a slow starter or just a sneaky yeasy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
Hi all
I know RDWHAHB it can take 72 hrs
It's too early to have a beer 9:00am so I'll ask the question :)
It's 48 hrs since I pitched 11.5 gram s23 into 20L dark lager @ 11c. There is no visible sign of krausen but some sediment at the bottom, I didn't take a reading as i had to go to work, I'll do one later...
The only other yeast I have is a spare pack of coopers yeast (white pack) I'll wait for 72 hr mark, but will I pitch this yeast or not?

Edit: there seems to be pressure pushing the lid from inside but no krausen

image-1358825044.jpg

image-1729205377.jpg

image-4245511792.jpg

I've used it a few times. I can't remember if it had a krausen for sure, but it is a bottom fermenting yeast, so it's possible. I remember that it does seem to take a little time to get going at lower temps and it is a slow steady fermentation. Also, it seems not to like to go much below 4C during lagering. Also, it looks like you probably under pitched a little. I usually use closer to 20g or so in a average gravity lager.

A few things....
1. Did you rehydrate? I haven't taken a side, but some people swear that if you don't rehydrate, you'll effectively kill a nice chunk of the yeast in the packet.
2. What was your gravity? Even a lighter lager of 1.050 needs two packs of yeast (remember, lagers take about twice as much yeast as ales). So at the very least, you underpitched by half. If you didn't rehydrate, it could be even more.
3. Wait another day and take a gravity reading.

There is definetly upward pressure on the lid so I expect some airlock activity shortly. I'm on my way home so I'll take a reading then. I thought I under pitched alright, what's the solution to that, wait and let it do it's thing? Temp is a steady 11/12c
I didn't hydrate before pitching I just followed pk instructions :)

Edit: ITS ALIVE did a hydro reading its at 1.042

If you under pitched, you can just sprinkle in another package of yeast. It may or may not help given that you are already 2-3 days into fermentation, but it's not going to hurt anything.

As for rehydrating, I'm in the camp of it doesn't really matter, but it's still a debatable point. I personally believe aeration is more important. In fact, I think Fermentis says one option is to direct pitch the yeast into the wort, let bloom for 15 mins, stir it in and aerate (or something like that).

JJL said:
If you under pitched, you can just sprinkle in another package of yeast. It may or may not help given that you are already 2-3 days into fermentation, but it's not going to hurt anything.

As for rehydrating, I'm in the camp of it doesn't really matter, but it's still a debatable point. I personally believe aeration is more important. In fact, I think Fermentis says one option is to direct pitch the yeast into the wort, let bloom for 15 mins, stir it in and aerate (or something like that).

Cheers for the advice.

Hehehe well as it turned out the lid wasn't fully sealed, a small spot wasn't fully clicked into place.... Now there's no stopping the airlock bubbling like a mad man :). And a small krausen is forming since yesterday

Gunjji said:
However its Never too early for a homebrew!

True, only I'm minding the kids this week, could you imagine my wife's reaction when she gets home and finds me playing drinking games with the boys (4 & 1 1/2). :)

Back