Is racking a hefe onto a yeast cake of california ale V feasible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsocc

Reaction score
In terms of flavor?

I'm not an enormous fan of hefeweizen, but I found a DFH blood orange recipe I thought would be fun and I'd like to give it an interesting flavor. I figured the yeast cake would throw some interesting esters and be more pronounced. The yeast cake I have is from a pretty big winter ale.

I also have some champagne yeast in my fridge I could use.

Or I could just go to the store and get hefe yeast.

I want to teach some friends a really simple homebrew recipe w/ a quick turn around (something essential for new brewers I think).

What do you guys think? Is this a good idea, or am I dooming myself to truly unpalatable beer?

i think its a great idea, as a matter of fact I as well make my american wheat with cal V everytime, and everyone loves it. way more neutral and clean than any other hefe yeast I have tried in the same recipe. do it.

Its not a hefe without hefe yeast. Racking a wheat beer onto American yeast will make it an American Wheat.

We have some style mix up here. American wheats use clean strains that do not produce the phenols and esters of german hefeweizen yeast. A hefewiezen uses hefeweizen yeast an american wheat uses a clean (phenol and ester wise) yeast. Widmer has everyone screwed up! Champagne yeast? I'm a little lost of that one?

Also, looks like you are repitching from a bigger gravity beer to a smaller gravity beer? Is this correct? If so, be careful, your yeasties might be spent. Also, using a whole cake is overkill for a mid gravity wort and will not help produce interesting flavors, it could do the opposite and not allow the yeast a growth phase and not allow it to product those flavors.

Personally I would decide how I wanted this beer to taste, then use the correct yeast for the taste I am going for. I'd make sure I was spot on if I was going to use the recipe or brew day to teach another the process. I wouldn't want to teach someone and then have the beer turn out below my expectations.

Back