Is my yeast still ok?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mre24j

Reaction score
I have a question about my Wyeast 1056 pitchable package. I have been up in Vermont for the past three days, just got back this morning and was looking forward to a nice relaxing brew day, when I found that my girlfriend had been moving some things around in my kegerator and had left my unopened yeast packets out. I think they have been sitting out for about 2-3 days, pretty mild temps around 55-60 I would imagine but I am wondering if they are still going to be ok or have the little yeasites been too stressed out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They should be fine....I saw a post answer in a thread yesterday similar to this where someone said that he's done the same thing for a few days and it turned out fine...

But if you want to make sure, I can't stress enough that you make a starter to grow up the cell count...but that would mean not brewing till tomorrow at the earliest.

Yeast gets shipped from vendors regularly and transit times of a week or so put the yeast through the same situation you are experiencing. These little buggers are a lot heartier than most people give them credit for. I don't think you mentioned if it's dry or liquid yeast...

+1 to Revvy

I like to do a starter for dry or liquid yeast just to confirm viability before I toss it in the fermenter...

Thanks for the help guys. Although I would like to do a starter first to test it I am working for the next week and a half straight and want to get this batch going so I think I'm just going to go for it and see how it turns out. It is a larger package of liquid wyeast 1056 so I guess I will just see how it goes.

Back