is my wyeast already activated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjb999

Reaction score
My Dead Ringer kit has arrived. The yeast pack defiantly has some gas in it already. it is about 3/4 of an inch thick. Is this just a packaging gas? I can feel something in inside, activator? And hear liquid. I'm brewing this Sunday prior to the Superbowl. What should I do ? open it?

If it is 1056, that is normal. They always show up a little inflated.

Just leave it until you are ready to make a starter.

The liquid inside is the yeast. The activator is a little packet you have to smack to break. Although if the yeast packet is already inflated you would risk rupturing the package and possibly contaminating your yeast.

That is the activator. Before you pitch the yeast make sure you smack it the pack really hard with both hands,shake to mix, and let it sit about 3 hours to warm up to room temp. before using. The pack will swell up like an unopened bag of potato chips. Sanitize the bag and the scissors you use to open the bag and pitch yeast when necessary. Happy brewing.

Last edited by a moderator:
is there a package within the main yeast package? Should i open the package and remove the inner package. My yeast pack does not say 'activatior" as seen in the youtube video. Sorry to be so dumb.

Back