Is my water useable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudrail

Reaction score
I've been brewing all grain for almost 1 1/2 years. I have been using my well water for the majority of my batches but sometimes would dilute it with RO, knowing that I had hard water. I finally sent a sample in to Ward Labs and got my results back. I've also had a lingering after taste in all my Ales that I could never pin point. I brew on a rims setup and have changed my sanitation program and went to a fermentation chamber hoping to find the cause of this off flavor. I guess my question is, can this water be useable with dilution and water additions? Or would I just be better off to start with RO water? Could the water be causing the bitter/tart/puckering after taste that I am tasting in my Ales?

pH 7.7
Sodium 184
Potassium 1
Calcium 118
Mg 39
Total Hardness 458
Sulfate 99
Chloride 76
Carbonate <1.0
Bicarbonate 531
Total Alkanlinity 437

That's some $&%# up water... I have similar problems with my well water, but yours is even worse.

That is extremely hard water. Mine is very hard, destroys the pipes if left unsoftened, but is "only" 300 total hardness. The sodium is very high, as is the magnesium. The bicarbonate and resulting alkalinity are sky high; absolutely these are the reasons for the bad taste, no doubt whatsoever. The alkalinity will result in your mash pH being way too high, and this causes harsh bitterness. The mineral values are culprits, too.

I also brewed for a year with my well water and had lingering bitter, gross flavors that I tried to ignore. After getting my tests back from Ward Labs, I switched to distilled water at $0.80/gallon from the grocery store plus added salts and/or acid. Occasionally for a dark beer, I'll blend a little bit of well water back in to add alkalinity. My beers now are totally fine, it was a night and day difference.

After my 1.5 year brewing hiatus, I had my city water tested by Ward Labs. There were some changes made during my hiatus.
PH-8.4
sodium-82
potassium-6
calcium-38
mag-20
total hard.-178
sulfate-94
chloride-15
bicarbonate-86
total alkal.-73
I will have to use campden to remove chloramines. That report above doesn't look to good.

That is sure to give you an off taste. 5.9 is way too high. Also your sodium levels are probably detectable.

Yes, that is a tough water for brewing. Dilution is a good option as long as there isn't high iron or manganese in the water. While starting with pure RO is an option, I suggest that you consider a small portion of your tap water to supply alkalinity when a brew actually needs it. That approach can be easier than trying to add alkalinity via a mineral addition.

Your descriptions of brewing results are not surprising. The high alkalinity keeps your mash and wort pH high and that causes rough and dull flavor. The Mg is also right at the limit and could also contribute to flavor problems. But all that goes away with enough dilution and judicious acidification.

Thanks guys. After playing with bru n water it looks like around 50% dilution with RO water and 1mL/gal lactic will help tremendously. Luckily, I work at a power plant and have an endless supply of RO water. Thanks again, hopefully this will get me on the right track

Back