Is my starter wort to strong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
I know it's 2 cups water to 1/2 cup dme, so it's 9 cups to get to my 2L Line in my flask, so I mixed 2 .3 cups of dme and oiled for 20 min, chilled to 90 degrees, then pitches 1 pouch of London ESB Ale in the flask, it's on the stir plate now....I'm afraid I didn't cool long enough or maybe made my starter wort too strong, any way for me to tell?

Take a sample and test the gravity. You should be shooting for somewhere in the 1.040 range. I use 100grams/liter for starters. It's pretty easy to remember and close enough.

Take a sample and test the gravity. You should be shooting for somewhere in the 1.040 range. I use 100grams/liter for starters. It's pretty easy to remember and close enough.

This ^^

Ditch the cups, volume is inaccurate at best. It can vary quite a bit depending on how dense the DME is packed in the measuring cup. The 100 grams to a liter is really easy. If you make a 1.5 liter starter it is 150 grams, if a .75 liter, 75 grams a 2.25 liter one would be 225 grams etc.

You can get a decent digital scale with grams, pounds, ounces for about $20.

So here is a pic 2 hours into it, the foam at top wasn't there at start of pitching, so I'm guessing something is right...

20160427_195211.jpg

I know it's 2 cups water to 1/2 cup dme, so it's 9 cups to get to my 2L Line in my flask, so I mixed 2 .3 cups of dme and oiled for 20 min, chilled to 90 degrees, then pitches 1 pouch of London ESB Ale in the flask, it's on the stir plate now....I'm afraid I didn't cool long enough or maybe made my starter wort too strong, any way for me to tell?

90 degrees is still hot as far as the yeast feel, they like 68-75 degrees

This is as of this morning, so I think I sneaked by ok...would you agree? The smell is a please kinda of fruity one, not pungent or vinegary

20160428_061755.jpg

Back