Is my starter too young?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhobs126

Reaction score
I am brewing a nut brown tonight and my estimated fg will be in the 5.5-6 range. I made a small yeast starter yesterday afternoon of about half a liter. I don't have a stir plate. I have been swirling it constantly. Is it ok to pitch this young starter and should I cool to decant first or pitch the whole thing active? I don't usually do starters on such a short notice but really wanted to brew today. Starter should be around 32 hrs old when I pitch. Yeast is WLP 005 British ale. Thanks

I am brewing a nut brown tonight and my estimated fg will be in the 5.5-6 range. I made a small yeast starter yesterday afternoon of about half a liter. I don't have a stir plate. I have been swirling it constantly. Is it ok to pitch this young starter and should I cool to decant first or pitch the whole thing active? I don't usually do starters on such a short notice but really wanted to brew today. Starter should be around 32 hrs old when I pitch. Yeast is WLP 005 British ale. Thanks

The starter should have been bigger, but yes 32 hours is enough time. With that small of a starter I'd just pitch the whole thing.

As I wrote my original post I realized I goofed. I made a starter of 2 cups of water with 1/2 cup of dme boiled and forgot to add top off water to volume. I made this yesterday as I said. This morning I just added enough water to bring my volume up to 1/2 gallon or so. I hope I didn't ruin it.

As I wrote the first post I realized I goofed.yesterday when I made a starter with 2 cups of water and one half a cup of DME, I forgot to add water to bring my volume up to half a gallon. Today I added the water in swirled. I hope this hasn't harmed my yeast.

There probably wasn't as much growth, and they may not be as healthy, but only time will tell.

Sorry about the repost I didn't think it came through the first time.

Back