Is my SS braid ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
I accidentally scraped my SS braid with a big SS spoon. It screwed up the braid. I tried to put the braid back together, but this is the best I could do. Am I going to have husks come through? Is it ruined? Am I over reacting?:confused:

IMG_0118.jpg

you should just give up brewing all together, send me all your equipment and beer, and just forget this ever happened.

It will be fine. Think of all those guys who use copper or CPVC manifolds with a bunch of holes/slits drilled in them. They are much bigger than then little dent you put in the braid. Maybe vorlauf a few more times but I think it will be fine.

Thanks for your help guys.

I didn't think about the copper slits...that makes sense.

Take care.

Eric

That braid looks in excellent condition compared to mine.. Mine looks like my dogs chewed on it. I hit it a few times every mash probably, just force it back to normal a little.
Besides, that is what vorlauf is for, the little chunks of grain will go through it and you recycle to the top, big chuck won't go through it.

You're fine, keep on brewing :)

Here is an update.

I brewed yesterday and could not tell a difference. Vorlaufed 1.5 qts just like usual. Ran my ball valve wide open just like usual.

I was just worried I was going to be troubleshooting the braid with 55 lbs of hot mash on top of it.

Thanks for everyon's reassurance.

Eric

you're doing it wrong! It's "RDWHAHB"! :p

That'll be Panic Don't Relax Have a Heart Attack any minute now.

My braid looks like it got run over by a Panzer after landing on a bouncing betty. Yours will have several more war wounds ahead!

Back