Is my Saison Ready?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterShake

Reaction score
Hey guys, i brewed my first beer a Saison last sunday.

It fermented in about 74-78 degrees until about Thursday. It was bubbling every 4-5seconds, on Thursday it stopped bubbling at all and hasn't bubbled since...I know that bubbling doesn't mean anything. But can it be done so quickly? I have read that this yeast works quick, question is

..should I keep it in the fermenter even if the fermentation is finished for another week or so? or should I move it to secondary, or should I keep it in primary for another week and then move it to secondary? or should i just keep it in primary through out and NOT move it to secondary at all?

what is my best choice of action for this?

I would take a hydrometer reading. Then I would wait a few days and take another one. I wouldn't move it to secondary at all, but I'd give it two more weeks in the fermenter.

Which yeast did you use? Traditionally Saisons yeasts ferment very quickly to start with but have a "long tail" where they will continue to ferment out over the next few weeks. In particular I think one strain will sort of peter out at around 1.030 and then kick into gear again once you get it up over 85F.

Which yeast did you use? Traditionally Saisons yeasts ferment very quickly to start with but have a "long tail" where they will continue to ferment out over the next few weeks. In particular I think one strain will sort of peter out at around 1.030 and then kick into gear again once you get it up over 85F.

Wyeast #3711 French Saison Yeast - Private Collection July-Sept.
Optimum temperature: 65-77° F.

dont move it- take a hydro reading. i would also move it to a warmer area to let the yeast develope some flavors. what was your OG? i would just leave it in the primary for a month then bottle/keg if you have reached target FG

dont move it- take a hydro reading. i would also move it to a warmer area to let the yeast develope some flavors. what was your OG? i would just leave it in the primary for a month then bottle/keg if you have reached target FG

My OG was around 1.040 the suggested OG...FG should be about 1.008 or so.

I'll turn my AC off so it gets warmer and leave it.

sounds like a start. have you taken a gravity reading lately? do you plan on bottling or kegging? if you are bottling, and it doesnt finish about prior to bottling-you'll have a mess on your hands.

i have a saison going right now as well, its been in the primary for 1 month...low 80's after the first week... FG is 1010 and i'm kegging today.

sounds like a start. have you taken a gravity reading lately? do you plan on bottling or kegging? if you are bottling, and it doesnt finish about prior to bottling-you'll have a mess on your hands.

i have a saison going right now as well, its been in the primary for 1 month...low 80's after the first week... FG is 1010 and i'm kegging today.

just took a hydro sample. FG is about 1.006 , right on the dot.

Tasted it and....it tasted AMAZING, even flat and warm...it was delicious. Real lemony flavor and tasted like a decent beer.

Is it ok to put the hydro sample in the fridge, i want my friends to taste it as well.

PS: I had my better bottle on the floor and I need to get it to a higher ground to take the sample (i have a ported BB) when I raised it, i think my blow off tube came out of the water. Since I am new to brewing, I am hoping thats ok and a little bit of oxygen wont do much to it..assuming that it actually got in there...

just took a hydro sample. FG is about 1.006 , right on the dot.

Tasted it and....it tasted AMAZING, even flat and warm...it was delicious. Real lemony flavor and tasted like a decent beer.

Is it ok to put the hydro sample in the fridge, i want my friends to taste it as well.

PS: I had my better bottle on the floor and I need to get it to a higher ground to take the sample (i have a ported BB) when I raised it, i think my blow off tube came out of the water. Since I am new to brewing, I am hoping thats ok and a little bit of oxygen wont do much to it..assuming that it actually got in there...

Go ahead and put the sample in the fridge. No harm there. Just never pour it back into the fermenter.

And you will be fine. Not enough oxygen will get in there. Although, I would move to an airlock after the main fermentation has taken place. Just easier to manage.

yeah you'll be fine, there is tons of co2 in the primary from fermentation.... you would really have to force some air in there to do some damage. congrats on the tasty brew

Back