is my lager (hopefully bock) OK???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdude723

Reaction score
two Saturdays ago, Feb 12 I brewed my first lager in the hope that I could use the last remaining cold days of this winter to let it ferment and lager in the basement where it will stay cool/cold

after brewing and cooling I got an OG of about 1.062, a little low, but it seemed like things were in the ballpark at least

I sealed up the carboy and put it downstairs to ferment, next day it was bubbling nicely and by the 2nd day it was bubbling steadily

I let it sit for 2 weeks, which seems to be pretty standard issue for a lager from what I've read

the bubbling in the airlock had slowed considerably by the 2nd week and I decided I would rack it into secondary to let it continue lagering for a couple more weeks, which I did on Sun night

after racking it I took a hydrometer reading and got 1.030 which to me seemed really high at this point, but I'm new to lagers

first I did not take a temp reading so I don't know if it was at 60 as the OG reading was taken at, but I'm pretty sure it was a good bit cooler, probably closer to 45-50

I was expecting it to be lower since it had fermented for 2 weeks already, granted it was at a much cooler temp

does this sound about right?

I was expecting the bock to finish with an ABV% of around 5.5-6% or so, but if the FG stays around 1.030 this won't happen

will the FG fall more as it lagers for a couple more weeks?

I saved the trub, should I repitch it to restart fermentation?

should I bring the carboy upstairs to let it warm up some?

should I stir or shake the carboy some to get everything back into suspension?

or should I simply RDWHAHB

thanks

I have not done a lager yet (plan on one very soon). But from what I have read alot of people after a couple days at 50ish they move it to a warmer area to get the gravity down more. Then slowly cool back down to 50's transfer then slowly cool to 30's for lagering. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

Back